First brisket on my new wsm

tajt7757

Knows what a fatty is.
Decided to do hot and fast brisket on my c/l find.
Bought two briskets at Tom Thumb for 1.49 lb. one was 7# one was 8#.
Rubbed them down with homemade rub. Loaded the wsm with full ring of kings ford blue. Put two big chunks of pecan.
Ran at 325-350 for 3 hours international hit 165.
Pulled off and foiled. Put back on for 2 hours until internals hit 203*.
Threw one in a cooler. The other is resting in foil in kitchen.
Pics of brisket to follow.
I forget to add that I had to run a fan into one of the bottom vents to maintain high temp. Also had dry waterbowl with a foiled pizza stone as a diffuser.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 165
Looks pretty tasty. I am going to have to try a hot and fast one.

Hot and fast believer.

I guess I will need to invest in a guru or another type of temp control fan.
Does any one prefer one of the other for the wsm ?

Last edited:
I guess I will need to invest in a guru or another type of temp control fan.
Does any one prefer one of the other for the wsm ?

I suggest cooking on that baby a few times before you decide you need to buy a temp control unit. They are hold temps very well. I never have felt the need for one.

I watched c/l in Dallas for a year.
Finally nailed one for 100. Used twice.
Felt like a crook as I drove home with it.

I bought an IQUE110 to go with my WSM for overnight cooks so I could sleep without worrying about waking up and finding the fire running wild. If I have time to sit around and watch the thing, I don't bother with the controller. For some reason, I have occasional temp spike issues with the 22 that i never had with the 18 I had previously. Temp will be rock steady for 6 hours and suddenly it goes from 275 to 325 in the blink of an eye. The controller restricts the air and pretty much keeps that from happening.

I would cook a few times before investing in a ATC also. I would suggest either leaving the bowl or heat diffuser out, they will do the same thing so you are wasting heat warming those up.

Brisket looks good!

I have seen the Party Q work wonders on the WSMs. You don't need to drop a ton on money on a controller for that unit.

Tom thumbs in dallas have briskets! Whoa!

Mine just has hot dogs on a rolling grill...and overpriced milk.

$100 wsm is a fantastic score!

Back