Wings: Sauce first, or smoke first?

scottm4300

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm cooking 300 wings Saturday for a party. When I did this before, I sauced the wings, then smoked them. But I'm finding a few threads that suggest smoking them naked, and then tossing them in the sauce after they are cooked. Half of these will be hot wings, the other half will be honey BBQ.

Any preference on the better way to do this amongst the Bretheren?

Thanks!

Scott

I've never cooked that many wings, but I season, cook, and then sauce. There's really no right way, but I like the way mine turn out.

I rarely do them, but when I do, sauce comes last.

Suace comes last for me too, but sauce should be glazed over the fire.

Unless you're doing buffalo wings. The fire tempers the heat

I like to marinate in soy sauce and hot sauce, smoke, then sauce again after I pull them.

i cut off the tips and discard them then split them (easier for guests to handle) then season ( i like dizzy pigs raging river on them) and grill em over charcoal and wood then toss them in a pan with little melted butter just to coat them a bit..i dont sauce..since i hate bbq sauce on chicken but will add hot suace to the butter on occasion

You might try watering down a bunch of sauce and mopping the wings when they're almost done, then saucing them after they're finished.

Wildcat said:
Sauce is always last for all my Q.

Same Here.

I just chop the tips off, marinade them, and throw them on the grill.

Depending on the crowd I either sauce them before plating up or unsauced and with communal dipping pots!

I tried this last week:

Made my wing sauce and poured it into large bags I made with my FoodSaver vac. I then pierced the wings the best I could in as many places as I good and dumped them into the bags.

Using the FoodSaver vac, I sucked all of the air out of the bag (place a paper towel just inside the point where the bag will be sealed to keep from sucking liquid into the vac) and placed the end-product into the fridge overnight.

Smoked 'em the next day and the flavor seemed to go all the way through them. I re-sauced some of 'em right after the initial smoke and they were double-good!

Ken

Ken, that sounds like an awesome idea, but I'm translating it to 40 pounds of wings and I'm picturing one big farker of a bag!! I'll hold off on that one until I'm doing something a little less volumonous.

In the meantime - thank you all for your feedback. This is the biggest cook I've ever done and I'm really looking forward to it, albeit with a bit of nervousness. I'll be sure to take pics and post over the weekend.

Scott

I brine my wings first, then rub and smoke in a grill wok. Spraying with an apple juice concoction. I've tried it up high in the BSKD and down low. I think I like the result low, crispier. I usualy have enough rub on 'em that they don't need sauce. Serve with some dipping sauce bbq or blue cheese. Mmmm, I'm gettin' hungry. I'll tell ya the left overs I've reheated in the deepo fryer and those are actually the best, smoky, crispy. Man now I'm really hungry. :-D

Good luck with your big cook.

scottm4300 said:
Ken, that sounds like an awesome idea, but I'm translating it to 40 pounds of wings and I'm picturing one big farker of a bag!! I'll hold off on that one until I'm doing something a little less volumonous.

In the meantime - thank you all for your feedback. This is the biggest cook I've ever done and I'm really looking forward to it, albeit with a bit of nervousness. I'll be sure to take pics and post over the weekend.

Scott

What was I thinkin'? 300 wings would require a lot of bags!

Ken (duh)

Season, cook, taste, get a beer, another taste, sauce, another beer, then taste ater sauce has had time to settle. take the rest of the food in the house so the cook does not eat it all. have a last beer, and think about how good the food will taste when served.

Back