Wsm

grillnputt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well I've moved on in the world. I am now the proud owner of a WSM. Now, how do you get the inside temps? Do you just hang a thermometer in the top vent? Doing ribs tomorrow.

I started with a turkey-fryer thermometer hung through the lid, making sure that the end of the thermo didn't bump against the meat. After I got my first ET-73, I just dangled the probe through the lid vent just to the curve of the probe. Keep in mind that the temp in the lid where a Polder-type probe measures will run 5-10 degrees warmer than the top grate (usually). Might check your probe in boiling water (should read 212) and in a slurry of crushed ice with water poured over it (should read right at 32-33). You can make sure that you're reading accurate temps that way. You can also poke the probe of a polder-style thermo through a chunk of potato and set the potato on the grate next to the meat, running the wire under the edge of the lid. You can set the lid down on it and it won't hurt it - just be gentle.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Congrats on the purchase. You're gonna love the WSM. As far as bang for the buck goes, there's probably nothing better.

To answer your question, yes, I just dangle the probe through the top vent. As Keri said, The registered temp will be 5-10 degrees higher than the actual grate temp. Have fun!

I started with a turkey-fryer thermometer hung through the lid, making sure that the end of the thermo didn't bump against the meat. After I got my first ET-73, I just dangled the probe through the lid vent just to the curve of the probe. Keep in mind that the temp in the lid where a Polder-type probe measures will run 5-10 degrees warmer than the top grate (usually). Might check your probe in boiling water (should read 212) and in a slurry of crushed ice with water poured over it (should read right at 32-33). You can make sure that you're reading accurate temps that way. You can also poke the probe of a polder-style thermo through a chunk of potato and set the potato on the grate next to the meat, running the wire under the edge of the lid. You can set the lid down on it and it won't hurt it - just be gentle.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Have you seen those little probe cable eyes that The Guru guys sell for the WSM??

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=136#details

I have those eyes in my WSM...work great. You can fit 2 wires through one hole, and it comes in right under the top grate.

If you use a 9" to 12" inch thermometer (like one to deep fry a turkey) you can clip it to the WSM handle and insert the stem at an angle into the WSM top vent. Going in at an angle misses anything on the top rack:

3a.JPG

I do the same as the other have mentioned. I got a 8 " deep fry thermo from Academy for <$3.00 and just use the clip to attach it to the tab on the top vent... or as mentioned in another thread, just sort of touch the lid to determine if it is within range! :-D:shock::-D

I have the Guru eyelets in 2 of my WSM's but I also took the plunge and installed Tel-Tru thermometers in the lids.

I mounted a thermometer right to one of the top vent holes....do you suppose that blocks too much aire only leaving two holes open?

I threaded mine through one of the top vent holes, as well. I've noticed no adverse effects. It was mighty handy, and saved me from drilling a hole in my beloved WSM (which was my original plan).

Good purchase...I've had mine for about a month now and absolutely love it. I just finished installing a Tel-Tru BQ300 yesterday. I use it to monitor the cooker temps.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x206/johnrhana/012-1.jpg

I use a Taylor digital to monitor meat temps.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x206/johnrhana/001-1.jpg

The probe is routed thru the access door for now until my Guru Eyelets arrive.

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=136

Good Luck with your new WSM...and Happy Smokin'! :biggrin:

I run the probe through the spring in a clothespin. It can be clipped to the grate as close to the meat as possible. It works in my Chargriller, should work in a WSM.

Might check your probe in boiling water (should read 212) and in a slurry of crushed ice with water poured over it (should read right at 32-33).

Don't forget the 212 F is temperature at sea level, the higher you get the lower the boiling point.

Every 550' you go up the boiling point drops 1 degree so here in SLC at 4,500 our BPW (boiling point of water) is between 203 - 204 F.

But the freezing point doesn't change, still 32 F.

I use the Guru Eyelets also. Before that, I just used to set the thermometer into a Potato set the lid down on top of it.

Back