THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TonyBen

Knows what a fatty is.
How long and what temp should I cook this at? The (pregnant) wife wants some.....TODAY!

Thin slices, I'm thinking 325 for 10 minutes on the Traeger, maybe? Open to suggestions.

first thing I used to live in beverton way back in the early 80's and late 70's...I miss all the berries...now what kind of meat do you have and are you going to shread it or "dice" it up into little pieces that's the first question...the cut of meat will make a big dif

I marinate them in a blend of spices and liquids, then quickly cook them over the hottest fire I can get going. If I can get the real thin cuts they sell at the Mexican butcher, it can be as little as a couple minutes per side. I really like to see a very hot grill and some charring.

Marinade I use:
1/4 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves grated
1 teaspoon chile powder
1 Tablespoon Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
1 Tablespoon BBQ rub
1 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper
blog post that is from http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2010/05/sonoran-enchiladas-for-cinco-de-mayo.html

We just throw it on in strips. It's really thin beef. We don't shred it, just leave it in thin sheets.

The berries usually ripen in late July. We have fields of blackberries behind my house. :)

I agree, hot and fast. I use a skirt steak if I can get it. I usually like a long marinade (8+ hours, similar to what Landarc is talking) but it sounds like you may not have that option. It's only 2:20 there... get it in the marinade ASAP.

Lots of marinade recipes out there for asada. Mine usually has beer, wooster, hot sauce, garlic and onion powder, and maybe a floating habanero. Once it hits the hot grill, it's a couple minutes per side, (mine are on for about 1 minute per side) then hit em with some fresh lime before taking off. Warm corm torts, grilled long green onions, and a good salsa...............COLD BEER, then eat. Salt and pepper before making the flip.

DO NOT MAKE A PREGNANT WOMAN WAIT FOR FOOD!!!! Learned that one Real quick!!:-D

Bob

Super hot and really fast!!!!!!
2 minutes a side, if you buy the pre sliced carne.

oh yeah....forgot that if you find this use it, it is good.

Attachments

• P5140001.jpg
    P5140001.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 197
How long and what temp should I cook this at? The (pregnant) wife wants some.....TODAY!

Thin slices, I'm thinking 325 for 10 minutes on the Traeger, maybe? Open to suggestions.

Here's what I do:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71883

Comes out great every time!

For marinade:

Orange Juice
Onions
Cilantro
Seasoning Salt and BBQ Rub of your choice

Layer meat in pan and coat with all ingredients. Let marinate at least overnight, if not longer.

Weber, HOT mesquite, tortillas, salsa and ice cold beer, not for her she’s pregnant.

Get that grill hot toss the meat on for a minute or two then flip toss tortillas on grill with meat. Pull off tortillas and slap a nice n hot piece of carne on it topped with salsa and kick back and enjoy life.

John

You mean like this?
P9200275.jpg

The "ranchera" cut is the best from the mexican butchers or "diesmillo" cut is good...and any marinated from the mexican butcher or home made with orange juice...that's the main thing missed by "gringo's"...lol

The "ranchera" cut is the best from the mexican butchers or "diesmillo" cut is good...and any marinated from the mexican butcher or home made with orange juice...that's the main thing missed by "gringo's"...lol

What actual cuts are those? I've used the skirt (diaphragm) with great results. Curious what these cuts actually are so that I stand a chance of finding them in a non-mexican butcher shop.

They are not going to be in a regular butcher shop. They are specific to Mexican butchers. Some of the asada cuts I have seen in butcher shops are very unique. I have seen one that looks a lot like scallops of briskets, some that look like tenderized sirloin.

Ok the "ranchera is a skirt steak but usually cut thinner and much wider...So just get your regular skirt steak and fillet it almost all the way through just leaving enough to keep the 2 pieces together. diesmillo I don't know exactly...more a steak cut real thin...hope this helps
What actual cuts are those? I've used the skirt (diaphragm) with great results. Curious what these cuts actually are so that I stand a chance of finding them in a non-mexican butcher shop.

Back