Vertical or offset Smoker????

colind

Got Wood.
Reaction score
looking for some advice for a beginner, should continue to try and smoke with my horizontal offset or should i invest in a vertical????

if the smoker is in good shape use it
. later on if you want another smoker buy one , make sure this is something you going to keep doing. To make good Q you don't need a bunch of expensive stuff

WSM is great for a beginer, but alot of verticals offer insulation which is great for cooking in inclement weather.

I'm in the uk so my options are limited to brands available over here

I and many other people love their UDSes. They are pretty cheap and easy to build or work great.

My personal favorite is the Big Green Egg. Love using them. They hold their temps very well and offer some of the juiciest BBQ I have ever eaten.

Started with an offset. Too much fire maintenance, hot spots, cooler spots, etc.
Sold it.
I prefer a vertical now.

Can't go wrong with the UDS......keep the offset and build the UDS for under $100.

I love my offset. I bought the WSM 22" though and love that too.
I definitely say if you have the means to go about it, either make the UDS or get a WSM or a ProQ or whatever you have available to you. I've heard great things about UDS, and ProQ's, and I'm definitely a Weber man now.
They're all great for different things.

Back