Need a Weber Performer mechanic

jdub

is one Smokin' Farker
Gas is moving but no spark. Do you just replace the igniter or is there something i am missing?

Are you positive you are not getting spark? They include a pipe cleaner tool to clean the gas tube. Sometimes it can get some gunk or spider webs in there and clog it to where it won't light.

Before I tried to replace the igniter, I would take the wires off, clean the connectors, clean the tube and reattach the wires (correctly) and try again.

If it is in fact the igniter, give Weber CS a call and see if it's covered under warranty.

I have never hooked a bottle up to mine so I'm not really sure. I wish Weber would offer a Performer without the fancy gas ignition and lower the price. I still use my chimney. Too cheap to keep buying the refills I guess. :becky:

look at the wires of the sparker and see if they are both connected. check the sparker end to see if sauce is baked on it. you only neet to replace the two wire feeds and the sparker if the first two ideas are not correct.

On mine if the gas bottle is low the igniter won't start it, although it works fine if you light it with a match. With a new bottle, the igniter fires it right up. I'm guessing that I probably need to clean the gas tube.

If the igniter has a battery in the push button remove it, the top should just unscrew, then replace it with a new one, I would try that before going on with other things. That is what I do with any of my gassers that have an igniter but I do not own the Performer.
Dave

I had the same problem when I bought my performer. I called Weber CS, they sent a new assembly for free, was here in 3 days.

I had the same problem with my performer that I bought off craigslist. The guy I bought it from said he'd been lighting it with a lighter forever because the button didn't work anymore. I got home, took it all apart and cleaned it real well, especially inside the gas tube and the contacts for the wires. Put it all back together and it worked again. Been working fine ever since.

Actually the lighter is piezoelectric. Piezo ignition is a type of ignition that is used in portable camping stoves, gas grills and some lighters. It consists of a small, spring-loaded hammer which, when a button is pressed, hits a crystal of PZT or quartz crystal. Quartz is piezoelectric, which means that it creates a voltage when deformed. This sudden forceful deformation produces a high voltage and subsequent electrical discharge, which ignites the gas.

I have never hooked a bottle up to mine so I'm not really sure. I wish Weber would offer a Performer without the fancy gas ignition and lower the price. I still use my chimney. Too cheap to keep buying the refills I guess. :becky:

Would a Platinum work better for you?

They do, or at least they used to offer it w/o the gas igniter when they made it with the stainless steel cart.

I use mine to light the chimney! Gas lasts quite a while this way as it only takes a minute to get a chimney started.

I like my Performer just fine and I guess I just like using newspaper mainly because I get enough junk sales papers in the mail for free. Also while my chimney is burning getting ready for the grill, gives me time to do other prep work or relax and drink a cold one. If I'm in a hurry, I'll break out the Weed Burner. I haven't tried the cooking oil on paper towel yet but I'm sure I will just to say I did. :becky:

If the igniter has a battery in the push button remove it, the top should just unscrew, then replace it with a new one, I would try that before going on with other things. That is what I do with any of my gassers that have an igniter but I do not own the Performer.
Dave

Look there. Fixed one on a griddle this summer. That is what it was, bad battery. I thought piezo also, but both my dad's gas grill and griddle had a battery. One was a "AAA" , one was a "AA".

When I bought my stainless performer of off craigslist the igniter wasn't working. I sprayed the parts in the bowl with penetrating lube with the intention of replacing it. Before I removed it I gave it one more try and it started right up. It's been working fine for 3 years now.

Back