Weber UDS lid dripping on to barrel

chriscw81

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I'm finishing up my UDS, it's an open top and the original lid works great. I wanna modify a spare kettle lid so that it fits on the drum and still be able to use the original drum lid. The Weber lid is just a little too small and I'm planning on bending the lid out a little to make it fit and still be able to use my original drum lid. This leads me to my question.

Has anyone figured out how to prevent the dripping on the side of the barrel? I'm sure the moisture and grease will drip down from inside of the lid. Sorry if the answer to this is in the redonkulously large UDS thread, I've looked but can't find a fix. If anyone has found a solution pics would be awesome.

Chris

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Drum smokers that drip and the men who love them - BBQ Brethren!

Sorry no advice, just a wisecrack. I think you are stuck with wiping occasionally with a damp cloth.

I have an UDS with a weber lid. I bolted a piece of 2" aluminum strapping around the inside. It protrudes about a 1/4" and the weber lid sits better without having to bend the edges out and crack the enamel.

Based on Brother Swamprb's idea, I used about 2"-3" of the kettle bottom cut off and seated into the open top of the open drum. I came up with the idea of using Rutland stove gaskets from Ace Hardware to seal between the cut kettle bottom and the top of the drum.

Since the kettle lid fits perfectly onto its bottom, I have had no drips onto the outside of the drum since I built it three years ago.

Gasket.jpg

Thanks for the ideas guys, those would work great if I never wanted to use the original drum lid again.

Chris

Thanks for the ideas guys, those would work great if I never wanted to use the original drum lid again.

Chris

With my solution, all you have to do is take out the kettle bottom which is not physically attached to the drum, and use the original drum lid anytime you want.

I did the same thing as HeSmellsLikeSmoke only I caulked around the gaps just be sure. I get drips on the side of my barrel. My guess is that the grease seeps through his gasket into his barrel and rolls over my caulk onto the outside of mine.

I like the JCM idea!

I found a BBQ Pro grill that the lid fits perfect on my UDS.

Th grill model number is: Sears item number: 16314; K-Mart item number: 680-02701244-2.

In the manual, it has the part number for the lid. It is: 200423N. The handle part number is: 220018N; the lid bracket is: 220002N; Lid vent assembly is: 220102N.

The is no part number for the "hardware pack" that has all the screws, washers (plastic and fiber washers).

I could not find the grill part number 16314 on Sears web site, but I'll bet you dimes to dollars that any of the BBQ PRO 22.5" grill lids will work.

wallace

Take a OTS weber grill, take the ots lid and cut out the center 1" from the lip, take the lip and silicone it to the top of the drum with high heat silicone, now take the kettle bowl and sit on the lip and let silicone cure overnight. The kettle bowl is now your lid, plenty of overhead room. All the dripping will drip inside instead of outside of the drum. Dripping on the fire is what gives meat its great flavor.

Dang! I posted a link a week or two about this subject and got some help but I'm thoroughly impressed with the Weber and drum lid mash-up idea. That'll git-r-done!

Starts off like this
0660586d.jpg

You know your doin something right when it looks like this
45999e22.jpg

I find it funny that whenever I'm done the lid is welded to the drum and will not come off without major force which eleminates the transport issue of the lid blowing off. Never has and don't expect it ever will. I hit it with the weed burner for about 5 seconds and it comes right off. My $.02 but I definitely feel for the crowd that wants their BBQ pit clean :twitch:

Here's mine after three years. I agree with Kwas68 that any drips must seep down thru the gaskets 'cause its still shiny.

b582a50439d83eaa832ddd4adaaca066_zpscd787c01.jpg

And I'm guessing it has got to be if you are going cook on your front porch! No shame nor should there be.

Yeah, i dont really mind if grease drips down it, simple wipe up. True story, i have a foil gasket in my drums original lid, frequently after i take the clamp off i can lift the drum by the handle on the lid without the lid coming off.

Starts off like this
0660586d.jpg

You know your doin something right when it looks like this
45999e22.jpg

I find it funny that whenever I'm done the lid is welded to the drum and will not come off without major force which eleminates the transport issue of the lid blowing off. Never has and don't expect it ever will. I hit it with the weed burner for about 5 seconds and it comes right off. My $.02 but I definitely feel for the crowd that wants their BBQ pit clean :twitch:

Yep....I've got the same story...

Day #1:
IMG_4569.jpg

Not long after.....
IMG_4892.jpg

This was last summer.....
IMG_4887.jpg

UGLY it is! :becky:

I welded the weber lid to the lid of the drum and then cut out the middle. Mine has never dripped down the side of the barrel.

I did the exact same thing. My welds weren't pretty but they held.

DSC01104_zps4709e6e9.jpg

To fix the burn through I got I used QuikSteel putty from Autozone all the way around the lid. High temp (up to 500°F) and can be used on drinking water supply pipes. Here it is after sanding and priming.
DSC01117_zpsc1ad6fe0.jpg

I then put a rope gasket in the drum lid channel for a nice air tight seal. No smoke leaked out from the bottom of the lid. Turned out great.
DSC01105_zps9f9236fb.jpg

I won't be able to use the drum lid again but that's OK. I like this better.

You'll figure something out. Just got to keep looking at it, take a break, look some more, get ideas from forums, look at it some more. Eventually something will pop out at you and you'll say, "Hey!!! That would work."

Chad

I think if mine gets to bad I will just repaint. The drips are tough. They don't come off.

Back