Best all around grill/smoker

mrboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For my money, the Weber 26.75" is the best all around grill/smoker.

Bigger than it's little 22.5" cousin, you can set it up to grill two steaks or smoke two 20 pound turkeys.

You can set it up so there's an upper and lower cooking chamber - you can even add another 22.5" hover grill over the 26.75".

If you've got a contender (grill/smoker) let's hear it.

The the 26.75 would be almost perfect if it had as many accessories available as the 22.5 does.

I'm good w/ either my single or 2 door cheapass Brinkman vertical boxers,my fridge smoker,the old smokey 18",the kettle, or the old woodstove w/ a castiron grate & turkey roaster lid. or,just the cinderblock outdoor pit.

it's all about the love,wood,& fire management.:thumb:

Grill and smoker, cant beat the 22.5 Weber kettle, cost to usefulness ratio is far greater than that of a 26" Weber.

Seems like everyone is listing the best all around grill and smoker FOR THE MONEY instead of just the best all around grill and smoker. If that's the case, I would definitely say the smokey joe with tamale pot smoker insert is the best bang for the buck.

(A UDS fan should weigh in on this topic in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...) ;)

It is really hard to beat the Weber Grills for the $$.
Great smoker and grill combos.

There is a new kid on the block with the pellet smoker/grill combos.
I love my Fast Eddie PG500. Functionly the same as the PG1000.

Rock solid indirect temp control from 170 to 600 with a "direct" area that gets "scary hot" up to 1000 deg or so :grin:, if ya have a need for that kind of temps.

I think Yoder or some of the others offer temps to 600+ which works great for grilling.

So, It is a function of how much ya wanna spend to get a great smoker/grill combo.

TIM

I have two 22.5 kettles, and I built my first UDS in Jan 2012. While both can smoke and grill great, I do believe they are primarily built for two different types of cooking. A kettle is great to grill on, probably the best I've ever used. While it can smoke, it takes a little tweaking for indirect.

The UDS on the other hand is the best thing that I've smoked on. Granted, I haven't got a fraction of experience with various smokers like most others on here, but I've got two racks of beef ribs on it right now, and I've done enough cooks that I feel confident closing the lid, setting the intakes and walking away....for hours....and hours, and it still keeps on cruising at about 240, no problems. Can't beat it in my opinion.

This question also does not take into account how much food you're cooking. For bigger cooks, my UDS is better....but that's why I have two kettles! :wink:

OK, I'll be brash and nominate my 55 gallon horizontal drum. Does direct or indirect. Big enough to hold 2 briskets. Runs hot to sear steaks or cool to slow smoke a great butt or brisket. It's leaky as hell so stock up on plenty of lump; you'll need it.

I don't think ts made anymore but I have a 12 year old New Braunfels offset....very heavy gauge compare to what is out there today...holds temps and is easy to adjust temps. I have smoked many, many briskets, ribs, butts and grilled a lot of burgers and steaks.....always dependable

22.5 kettle w/ table,home cut 1/3 extender(smoke ez),water pan,coal ring,notches for the rotisserie. all bases covered,:thumb:

Have webers and love 'em. Fantastic grills and can function somewhat as smokers. With that IMHO a significantly better smoker and a darned good grill if you need it would be a BGE.

Armed with a BigSteelKeg :first:I will do anything you can do, but better and more, and I'll do things you just cannot even think about with a weber.:cop:

Armed with a BigSteelKeg :first:I will do anything you can do, but better and more, and I'll do things you just cannot even think about with a weber.:cop:

And here I was thinking you would choose the Bodum Hibachi...:biggrin1:

God I gotta find the pic of the old wood stove,cast iron grate, & enamelware turkey roaster lid.............:wink:

22.5" Weber Kettle ........ Do anything+- with some attention..... If I had to choose just 1, it would be an easy choice.

Somebody's gotta represent the egg heads around here right. I'm positive I could load up my egg with lump, get her to 225*, go on vacation for a day and come home to a grill still running 225* and not have the house burned down. In the winter no less. Not to mention having enough lump left to do a pizza or 2 at 600*. Try that in a kettle or WSM. I'm not knocking the others, i'm actually looking to pick up a kettle, i'm just sayin'. The biggest drawback to my egg is portability, I never want to move that farker again.

Back