Ultimate New York City BBQ Trek

S

SmokeInDaEye

So on Friday, a group of friends and I decided to try out several of the most talked about barbecue spots in New York. Sort of like a pub crawl but with a limo and a lot more food.

First stop was Danny Meyer's place, Blue Smoke. For anyone who hasn't been there, it is probably the closest "fine dining" berbecue experience you can have in New York, filled with a lot of dressed up business types and a huge selection of expensive wines, bourbon and scotch. We grabbed a sampler plate at the bar to avoid the hour wait for a table.

for the most part, the food was OK but nothing worth going back for. Biggest complaint was that the pulled pork tasted like beef but that could have been from juices mixing on the sampler plate (pulled pork, spareribs, smoked chicken and sausage with some brisket for a couple dollars more).

We then traveled a few blocks to RUB on 23rd Street, Paul Kirk's place which is much more down home then Blue Smoke. Again, we tasted a sampler plate plus a half rack of ribs at the bar (although the place was surprisingly empty at 8pm on a Friday). The brisket didn't have much flavor but everything else was decent, including a spicy Elgin, TX style sausage and perfectly cooked spareribs.

Next up was Dinosaur Bar-b-cue in Harlem, right off the West Side Highway. I believe this is a small chain and they do an AMAZING business. There was a huge group of people waiting outside and every corner of the bar was packed so we ordered from the take-out counter and ate in the limo. By far the best brisket and pork shoulder out of any of the places and definitely worth a trip back.

After wiping out the Dinosaur food (and a few more beers) we went to Adam Perry Lang's spot, Daisy Mays, near the Intrepid on the West Side. We got there 5 minute before it closes and ordered brisket sandwiches, pulled pork sandwiches and Memphis-style dry ribs. Daisy Mays is really more of a takeout place but they do have some large cafeteria tables inside. Sandwiches were good but the ribs were the best of the night. The key benefit, however, is that Daisy Mays is connected to the Penthouse Club if you need to unwind after 3 hours of marathon eating and drinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you eat all that Q in such a short period of time?

Honestly I felt a little ill after the last stop but walked back to Penn Station and was fine on the ride home.

Don't order a huge amount at each place, just enough to get a taste for everything and compare techniques, quality, etc. And, whenever possible, stay away from sides!

It isn't even very expensive f you have a 5-10 people (aside from the car). Everyone can share one or two sampler plates ($16-20 per). We should plan a Brethen crawl sometime but start earlier on a Saturday or Sunday and hit even more spots.

Looks like you hit most of the spots. There's not many others.

Sounds like I need to hit Dinosaur again. The times I've been there I haven't been impressed by any of their Q.

Interesting...

Only others I know of are in midtown - Virgils (see my recent post from my recent trip there) and Dallas BBQ (not sure if Dallas BBQ is still around.I saw another one near Town Hall Theatre on 43rd and 6th but can't remember the name, really small place from the outside... Also recall seeing some place that perky twit Rachael Ray went to on one of her shows. It was uptown somewhere... Had the name Hog in it I believe... Looked more like a bar that served ribs from what I recall but may be wrong.

I couldn't handle all that traveling in manhattan traffic even in a limo to sample so many places in so little time...

I'd much rather prefer going to one, taking some time to hang out there and try a bunch of different stuff....

Fat Tommy's Cookhouse in Darien, CT anyone ?

There is also Spanky's by Times Square. I was not impressed with the ribs but the pork loin was okay when it finally arrived. The service was terrible, the bus boy dropped of my ribs and left and our waitress did not reappear for 10 minutes, and then said the computer never registered the pork loin order.

Daisy May's ages their meat in house, which would help account for the quality of the meat. It is my next stop when I get the urge to eat BBQ in a restaraunt.

Never heard of Fat Tommy's but I was in Westport on Saturday and people raved about a place there called Bobby Q's (no relation to Bobbique's in Patchogue). My wife didn't go for a quick drive by, though, after letting me out for the marathon eating session the night before. Go figure!

- Clint

BrooklynQ said:
Looks like you hit most of the spots. There's not many others.

Sounds like I need to hit Dinosaur again. The times I've been there I haven't been impressed by any of their Q.

I heard the same thing about The Dinosaur in the City.....I've been told the one upstate is much better. Have to give it a try!

SmokeInDaEye said:
Never heard of Fat Tommy's but I was in Westport on Saturday and people raved about a place there called Bobby Q's (no relation to Bobbique's in Patchogue). My wife didn't go for a quick drive by, though, after letting me out for the marathon eating session the night before. Go figure!

- Clint
Cookhouse is probably lots better than BobbyQs...;et me know if anyone wants to meet at either. They are both right here

Went To Daisy May's tonight. Farking outstanding ribs, beans and peaches! Outstanding! O U T standing. Fark. Out STANDING.

I noticed a few pics of "Fat Tommy" Ryder, the owner of the Cookhouse, that Brooklyn Q, Smoker and I met after we stopped in to eat after judging at Snowshoe Grilling Challenge in March the in the July or Aug issue of the National BBQ News. He did a tour of Texas for the Best BBQ in TX for Readers Digest Magazine... Apparently the article says he is some type of Chairman for Reader's Digest of America. That guy's got some serious cash...part owner of Blue Smoke in NYC and several other high end restaurants too if I recall correctly.

I'd take a roadtrip back to the Cookhouse...but schedule is a bit crazy right now... I thought it was better than all the LI BBQ place's (at least until Willie B's opens !!)

BrooklynQ said:
Went To Daisy May's tonight. Farking outstanding ribs, beans and peaches! Outstanding! O U T standing. Fark. Out STANDING.

So, I guess it was outstanding ??? Just kidding BQ... Still never been there either... What was so good about the peaches ? How were they prepared ?

Canned peaches simmered in bourban and sugar. What's not to like?

BrooklynQ said:

I could live withOUT it

Except for the beef rib, which was pretty awesome, the last batch of food I had from Daisy May's was really disappointing-- oversmokey (and I like smoke), and badly trimmed ribs. I've had much better food from there, so this was a bit of a sign that quality is inconsistent-- I know Adam was out of town when we got our food, so maybe that was the problem.....Here's how the rib came ouf of the tray....Where's the beef? Uh, I mean pork.....

Attachments

• Shiner.jpg
    Shiner.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 63
U R right Matt, Daisy May's is pretty inconsistent, but last nights ribs and sides were just fantastic. I'd even venture to say outstanding.

When they R on, Daisy May's is hard to beat. When they R not, then they R still pretty good, but such a disappointment knowing what they R capable of.

I also noticed a lot of new staff yesterday. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I'd take a roadtrip back to the Cookhouse...but schedule is a bit crazy right now... I thought it was better than all the LI BBQ place's (at least until Willie B's opens !!)[/QUOTE]

Were looking at being open September 5th

Another NYC Q Joint

OK, so last night I was walking to Penn Station and discovered a new barbecue place has popped up across from the post office on 8th Avenue. This place was the Skybox for awhile, then Charlie Os and a bunch of other things.

At first it looked promising but then I find out it is owned by Reise, the people behind TGI Fridays. Try our ribs, oven baked to perfection!

Sounds like I need to try this Cookhouse place, though.

I think we will need to plan for a Saturday night trip to The Cookhouse in September. We can call ahead and get the giant table in the bar area.

Back