Fence around your area at a contest

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
This past summer at our first contest we thought we had a good set-up until Sunday morning when the crowds started coming in. We had people come in to our area uninvited and open the smokers for a look (almost got in a fist fight over that) and someone actually opened up one of our coolers and grabbed a soda when they thought we weren't looking (lost them in the crowd). I saw some teams had picket fences in front of their spot. Is it common place for the public to be so brazen to do these things? I am definetly going with some sort of barrier next year to keep them out.

A lot of folks use fences or posts and chain or other variants to mark their areas. Tim and I have talked about this but usually we arrange our area where people would have to make an effort to squeeze into our area.

Realistically, if idiots are going to go through your area they'll do it in spite of fences, ropes, etc. Opening a cooker or cooler is just RUDE no matter how you look at it. :twisted:

Look around at the different setups and find one that you can duplicate and is easy to setup/take down and transport. The fences, entry way, etc. definately dress up the area, too.

Wow!! Sounds like you go to some rough contests!!! I have enough people on my team to supervise the entire area. If they reach in our coolers or open our cooker, they will probably draw back a bloody stub :twisted:

Can you say "attack dog"?

Geez... I've only been to two competiions, but no one has been that brazen. We have arranged our space to put the "kitchen" area is the leat accessible, but if someone really wanted to get in there they could.

One other thought... When we were at Peoria i noticed that Bar-b-quau had their kitchen and cookers behind their campar, and they had a little picket fence blocking access to that area. Maybe that's why they set up like that.

Home depot has plastic chain link in 20 foot sections. We were across from you, and thats what we used. This should tie in to your other questtion about the 10x20 canopy ad why i section off an area "out front". The divider and the chain link keeps people out of your kitchen. You will always have the ballsey ones that think they can wander in and out, but if u make it look like they are coming into your front door, they tend to stay out a little more.

Beofre using the split tent concept, parrothead and I have had people walk under our canopy and start slicing slices off of our breakfast. He jsut wandered right in like he owned the place.

The reason i keep my smoker up on the trailer and use it as a cooking platform, is that it keeps people away from the cooker. They may walk behind it, but will not walk up the ramp. I have seen many a pit get opened by spectators, and I have heard many an argument start from it.

At Grillkings, some lady was trying to take ribs from our turnin selection. I caught several people in our cooler.

If you give out ONE sample, do it VERY discreetly. If someone catches you, prepare for the stampede. I always liken it to feeding seagulls or ducks at a pond. If you throw ONE french fry out, or one piece of bread, the entire population of that critter will come running. Well, give out a chicken thigh to someone while your standing next to the open pit, and before you know it, EVERY person within eyeshot will be walking over. Its friggin pathetic.

At ashbury park after turn-in, I handed a plate of chicken and brisket to my wife while standing on the trailer next to the pit. It was for the kids and her. A rather LARGE woman came over with a dish and said can I have a sample?, her plate was full allready. I politly told her no samples yet and she argued, pointing at my wife... "SHE got a SAMPLE... u just like the Hotties". I told her thats my wife, feeding my kids. She just grunted walked away.. I hope she was embarrassed.

One guy became hostile and pissed becase we wouldnt "GIVE" him any samples. He started yelling "all I got is a f***ing piece of sausage and it sucked."

Ribfest, people from the crowd were complaining becase we were not "allowed" to give out samples.. they would show up at noon expecting a free lunch... in the middle of turn-in, and when denied of that, they would start name calling.

It is at all the competitions, and unless foodTV stops showing the competitiors giving out samples, its not going to go away. Promoters tell them to come SAMPLE real BBQ... some advertise 'sampling'. So people come expecting the free meal. Some venues charge admission to get into the competition area. Spectators expect something for that admission fee and they expect it from us. At one venue, one of the teams politely told a person asking for samples that they can purchase a sampler platter from the vendors, and the person got pissed and got 'attitude'. "WTF did i pay 10 bucks for?"(or whatever the entry fee was) she said?? she was right. The only thing there was BBQ vendors and BBQ competitors. That entry fee lined someones pocket.. and put us(the competitors) on the spot.

One team, right after turnin, put a sign up. SORRY, Out of Samples". I never saw them give any out, but the strategy worked.

A .357 strapped on your waist might help keep people out of your site too........

It is amazing! Tim and I usually start packing up the meat and icing "leftovers" down as soon as the last box goes to the judges. We've been asked about food and ALWAYS say, "Sorry, we're not vending" and "We've already put everything away".

Heck, I'm judge and competitor and have only tasted a few other guy's food. :cool: Of course, I don't ask and don't look "longingly" at whatever's still out - usually brisket since that's the last meat turned in.

The public does not understand that the competiors aren't making $$$ at these events. They also don't understand the usual "gentlemen's agreement" that non-vending competitors don't feed the public and therefore take away $$$ from the vendors and vending competitors. It really gets confusing at events that mix the vendors, vending competitors, and non-vending competitors all in one area.

At Dillard the vending competitors like ButtRub.com and Pig Pals were on the craft and vendors side of the grounds.

You have to remember too that at a lot of KCBS events the sponsoring group gets 10 percent of everything vended (use of Pig Points "money" only) and encourage everyone to vend - they don't charge the teams extra to vend but they get 10 percent - this sticks in the craw of some spice vendors since they have overhead, stock, and taxes to consider.

kcquer said:
Move to the Midwest where folks still have manners.

Really! I didn't even see much of that at the Royal and there were probably more drunks there than any contest in the world. We just had one guy come into our private party on Friday evening and when told, he just left. He didn't open or touch anything.

I just find all of this amazing.

I have not been around "forever"--but I have never seen anything like what is being reported from the NY area.
icon_evil.gif

That would call for a 12 guage
icon_evil.gif

RUDE
icon_evil.gif

TIM

at the grill kings event i had an old man and his wife take chicken wings right off my grill. we were still cooking these wings

Yep! I never saw it as bad as I did at the Long Island comps. In Illinois, no problem. Peoria, we had to beg people to take food.

unreal in the cooler.

Wow
Must be a Yankee thing.

Don’t every one have a grumpy one armed man on staff to keep the pushy people at bay.
Doug is very effective he is like a watch dog.

Seriously that blows me away. Never had to deal with that!
Good luck with that bros....

Grillkings was by far the worse. Some People were just unbelievably brazen. Everytime i tuned around, someone was grubbing.

My theory, blame BLI. The local radio station. They talked up the event and the DJ's always added their own slant and one of those slants was to go down and get some BBQ.... being there were no vendors.. who do ya think evertyone looked to to get that BBQ? The competitors.

Add that to the fact that venue was a state park that charged 8 bucks to get in ..... that added up to a bunch of NY'ers expecting something...

Then in highland, the promoters touted the event as a "rib festival". Then charged admission to get into the grounds. All that was inside was 2-3 Q vendors and some incidentals(lemonade, ices, fries). Wheres the festival.??

I think that real BBQ, being only a few years old AND very seasonal(June-Sept) in NY, that the promoters, whoever they may be, from Gillkings, to Radio stations to rotary clubs, are doing the FOODTV stereotyping. The whole concept of BBQ competitions are new to everyone and even the spectators are going on what they are told, or see on TV. Although going thru our coolers, or cutting of a hunk of our breakfast fatties, or taking Wills wings off the grill.. thats sh*ts just plain old rude.... the looking for freebies is caused by the promoters, and until they learn how to do it, we better bring extra.

Sawdustguy said:
We had people come in to our area uninvited and open the smokers for a look (almost got in a fist fight over that) and someone actually opened up one of our coolers and grabbed a soda.

The bl00dy cheek of it!! I would believe people would act like that. :evil:

Don't people realise they aren't at a trade food show and they are at a BBQ?

BBQchef33 said:
Add that to the fact that venue was a state park that charged 8 bucks to get in ..... that added up to a bunch of NY'ers expecting something...

......And they get plenty. They get to be social with you guys whilst absorbing the sights and smells.

Walking into someones patch and just taking food, even worse carving it first(!) is just plain wrong. I can't believe that they are so selfish they don't know thats wrong?

hi, i was at grill kings as a spectator and it was the first competition i have ever been to. in fact phils article in newsday got me to join up with this group. i was so happy that competitions were coming to long island, and to tell the truth, i went hungry! i did not want anything for free, but i was looking foward to the whole experience like you see on t.v. music, food, a watermelon pit spittin' contest! but...it was kind of a let down. there was no vending, and the only music i heard was coming out of phil's boombox! there were alot of stuff they could have done to make it a really fun event. we got some great bluegrass bands around here. could have had a rib eating contest! and it would have been nice to be able to PAY for some great bbq, after all without all that stuff why even have the spectators there in the first place? there was an eight dollar parking fee but the contest admission was free with an invitation. so in view of this i have written a short poem. here it is.

i am not defending
those who were rude.
but it would have been nice
to get some food!
phil

I think spectators should be kept out from around 10 am to 1:30 pm on turn-in day.

I think Grill Kings will be done a bit differently this coming year. It will be at Belmont Racetrack. It was difficult to do alot of the things that were suggested this past year because it was a state park. There were no vendors because of the State's contract with their own vendors. The State Park Parking Fee was unfortunate and not part of the Grill Kings event. This coming year I heard there will be music and a few more surprises. Again, the event was well run in spite of the difficulty in dealing with the state.

Back