Beer Can Duck??

D

ddog27

I was shopping in Wal-mart and I saw that they have frozen ducks in with the frozen chicken and turkeys. I was wondering if anyone had ever smoked a duck, beer can chicken style? Any other tips for smoking a duck?

The only time I have ever smoked a duck it was sandwiched between a chicken and a turkey.

I've done ducks on the smoker and they are great. I ahve not done them beer-can style. I modify and combine two of Paul Kirk's recipes and do it Asian style with a glaze. They are very fatty and you really need to trim what you can. I smoke them at around 250/275* for 4 or 5 hours and finish them up on a grill. The only real usable meat is in the breasts, with some in the legs. People really like it. I've used expensive fresh ducks from a specialty market, and cheap frozen ducks from the super market and their is no noticeable difference. I tend to prepare them when I have a certain Asian friend coming over, because she grew up in a restaurant, and carved her first duck at the age of 5. She makes a much nicer presentation and use of a scarce resource than i can. You should give it a try.

Just watch the fat drippings, they catch fire very easy. Do them just like you would a chicken, farm raised duck tastes much the same.

I like smoked duck & Cajun sausage and use it in gumbo. Haven't duck hunted in a while so thinking about trading some BBQ to a co-worker's hubby for a couple of ducks this winter.

Back