Help me with my firebox please

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I finally got my hands on a reverse flow smoker. She's a beauty and I can't wait to start playing with her. I actually had a second exhaust stack added. Problem...she doesn't want to go any higher than 225-250. So....I've attached pics in the hopes that I can get advice on how to modify her so she'll go hotter. The reverse flow plate is pretty solid and I'm certain the firebox needs to be modified...just trying to figure out how. I'd appreciate whatever you guys and gals can share. Thanks.....

Last edited:
Thanks. I can't do much about the size of the firebox but I can add more dampers. Would the grate need to be raised? How about the hole from box to cooking chamber? Does that need to be closed up at all starting from the bottom? If so, about how much?

I agree needs more vents
are there any in the door?
firebox is smallish but should work

have you tried leaving the firebox door cracked open a bit?

Can't see the hole FB to Cook Chamber - get better pic and maybe someone can give help.
I've had a couple small offset with too small FB and put a lil house fan blowing into dampers and it helped.

The firebox is undersized and more than likely you have TO MUCH exhaust. I suggest that you plug your dimensions into Feldon pit Calculator and you will get your answers trying to play This Guessing game is like like Russian Roulette. To Quote old Joe Friday "Just the Facts man"

have you tried leaving the firebox door cracked open a bit?

Yes and it seems the fire gets hotter it's just the temp doesn't get close to where I want it. I mean I want the option of cooking like 300-325 but she stalls out at like 225-ish.

Can't see the hole FB to Cook Chamber - get better pic and maybe someone can give help.
I've had a couple small offset with too small FB and put a lil house fan blowing into dampers and it helped.

you can see it in the first pic

its huge actually

With smallish FB it may not draft well enough for reverse flow - may do better as traditional with tuning plates.

I'd add a damper or two and try pushing air w a fan.

This might be a dumb question, but have you tried filling up the firebox more? I can't believe that fully loaded and burning it can't heat up that cooking chamber higher than 225-250. The amount of fuel that you show in the photos might be good for low level cooking, but if you add more fuel I don't see any reason why the chamber temp wouldn't increase.

You need more air and I'll bet that the calculator will tell you to reduce the size of your inlet from the FB.

Needs more air, can you cut in more or bigger dampers? Also the fb looks a little too small.

Those were exactly my thoughts too.

Find somebody to cut off the firebox and fab a new one that is the correct size for that size of smoker.

Am I wrong or is the exhaust located back by the FB? Do you think you may be losing heat straight up the stack before it gets a chance to fill the cooking chamber?

Am I wrong or is the exhaust located back by the FB? Do you think you may be losing heat straight up the stack before it gets a chance to fill the cooking chamber?

This is a reverse flow cooker, which means the heat/smoke travel from the firebox under a plate to the end of the cooking chamber and it enters the chamber there. Then the heat/smoke travels across the chamber back to the stack. My understanding is that contributes to a more even cooking temp across the chamber. My offset is not RF, therefore I have hotspots - and I love 'em! - most of the time anyway. :mmph:

Anyway, I'll echo what's already been said about the firebox - looks small to me and intake vents on the FB door would be a good thing to have.

Thanks for all the replies. There is an intake on the door just like the other sides. It's also at about the same height as them, too.

If you add more or bigger intake dampers, you might think about being sure that they allow for air UNDER the fire grate. The current intake dampers look a little highly placed to get air under the fire, in fact if they were lower the dampers that you have would probably be enough!:-D

Raise the pitch of the trailer. Make the heat/smoke travel uphill from the FB to the end of the baffle. This always increases the chamber temp a bit.

That's reverse flow. There is a plate from FB hole to opposite end with small space open at end.

Back