Non-Sanctioned Jack/Royal Qualifiers

backyardchef

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
If a contest qualified you for the Jack and/or the Royal, but was not sanctioned by a BBQ organization, would you cook it?

If yes, why? If no, why?

Absolutely, as long as it was perceived to be well organized, fair entry fees and the the judging process was blind..

Last edited:
We did... once.
Never again.

I put too much into this to put it into the hands of non-CBJs, with no assurance of structure or if that structure will be followed.

Premature "enter" keystroke.
shiner.gif

I thought a contest had to be sanctioned to be a qualifier

The way I understand it is (I think) you need a governor's proclamation that it is a state championship and at least 15 teams the first year. And, I think that if you have at least 50 teams, you don't need the proclamation.

I don't know if I'd ever say never. But if I were too, I'd go in with the attitude of fark it and what happens happens. Overcook those ribs baby!

It would have to be in my backyard and have a bunch of friends there - competing or not.

Anythings possible in the Northeast right now as long as the plan is solid.

I would certainly consider it. There was a first year contest last year in Louisa, VA Que and Cruz, that was a state championship but not sanctioned. While I wasn't able to make it, it was very well run and the winner ended up getting drawn for the Jack and an invite to the AR Invitational. I'll be there this year.

.......... I'd go in with the attitude of fark it and what happens happens..........

That's my answer too. I may do it if the location and fun factor looked good but I would expect issues (because everytime I've done it there have been some) and be willing to accept it that day. I know everybody in the NE is pissed at KCBS right now and I know people don't think what KCBS offers is worth the money but I disagree completely.

I've watched it grow for many years and while I disagree with much of what KCBS does these days I would never even consider having a contest without using them.

I don't know if I'd ever say never. But if I were too, I'd go in with the attitude of fark it and what happens happens. Overcook those ribs baby!

It would have to be in my backyard and have a bunch of friends there - competing or not.

Willie Pallooooza is a non sanctioned event with whata looks to be like all CBJ's as of now so dont over cook them to much

That's my answer too. I may do it if the location and fun factor looked good but I would expect issues (because everytime I've done it there have been some) and be willing to accept it that day. I know everybody in the NE is pissed at KCBS right now and I know people don't think what KCBS offers is worth the money but I disagree completely.

I've watched it grow for many years and while I disagree with much of what KCBS does these days I would never even consider having a contest without using them.
Hey doc dont speak for me I am not pissed heck I am not even a member:biggrin: I do however think its time for the NE to experience a contest up here sanctioned by another organization such as lets say maybe FBA:biggrin:

Hey doc dont speak for me I am not pissed heck I am not even a member:biggrin: I do however think its time for the NE to experience a contest up here sanctioned by another organization such as lets say maybe FBA:biggrin:

The other man's grass is always greener. I'm just saying.

We just cooked The BBQ Bailout up here in the middle of winter. It did not count for TOY points, wasn't sanctioned, and no one was going to The Jack if they won it. We had a blast and can't wait to do it again next year. Much like Williepalloza for the Long Island guys, it counts for fun. That being said, I do understand the need (for some teams) for every competition to 'count' for something; a qualifier, TOY points, etc. We cook, and love those too. But, sometimes it's good to just get out there, have a great time, and cook.

We do one up in Wisconsin (Lone Wolf) that isn't a qualifier nor sanc.

It's our first one of the year and kind of a shake out comp for us. Now I must say that this is a very unique comp so that may have some thing to do with it.

Normally I'm looking for KCBS but I don't turn down some thing that isn't out of hand.

non sactioned contest can be fon and have great prizes just ask ford

We do one up in Wisconsin (Lone Wolf) that isn't a qualifier nor sanc.

It's our first one of the year and kind of a shake out comp for us. Now I must say that this is a very unique comp so that may have some thing to do with it.

Normally I'm looking for KCBS but I don't turn down some thing that isn't out of hand.

non sactioned contest can be fon and have great prizes just ask ford
And it doesn't have a governors proclamation so it's not a qualifier for any of the invitationals. :sad: But as Dive and Billy know it does have an onsite bar with a firehouse pole :twisted: on the dance floor and some excellent hosts.

And you know Billy I think I hear a Harley calling me now:biggrin:

Answer to original question

If a contest qualified you for the Jack and/or the Royal, but was not sanctioned by a BBQ organization, would you cook it?

If yes, why? If no, why?
Yes - if I know it's going to be well run, if the location is good, if I can get assurances that it will be a fair contest and not a local team wins thing and that it uses standard judging criteria that is not stolen from the KCBS. I'd want to understand everything up front before making a decision. I've been burned too many times on peoples choice voting, etc. And the money would hvae to be good. Having a Harley as GC always helps.

No - unless I know exactly what the rules are published up front and unless I know the people running it, I would not go. Way to many people just out to make a buck and rip off cooks. I know when it's sanctioned then I can trust it.

I must be getting old. Here I am agreeing with you totally on this. BTW if you can make that Wolf it down contest in WI you'd love it. And obviously the judges know what they're doing based on last years results.:icon_devil

Back