Reverse-Sear on Flat Iron Steak

FamilyManBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Took these pics a couple weeks ago, forgot about them until now. My kids really enjoy flat iron steaks. For them, there are two kinds of steak...flat iron and the "chewy kind of meat."

Rubbed with salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, rosemary, minced garlic.
002-Copy-1.jpg

Smoke with oak until about 125 internal...was using Katie's converted "smoker joe"
001-Copy-1.jpg

When it hit 125 internal pulled for a short rest in cooler
007-1.jpg

Gave it a quick sear...short couple minutes on both sides...tried to shoot for about 135 internal.
006-1.jpg

Finished product...could've used a few more minutes rest.
010.jpg

This worked out really well for the flat iron. It's the way I've been doing my tri-tip. I'm really happy with it...kids liked it too!! :-D

Nice looking steak. I would have to take it off at about 110* to get it MR. Was it on long enough to get some smoke flavor?

Nice looking steak. I would have to take it off at about 110* to get it MR. Was it on long enough to get some smoke flavor?

Thanks! I put the steak on early...while temps were coming up. Plenty of smoke flavor if I remember. Was cooking this on my daughter's smokey joe that we've converted to a bit of a mini-WSM...went a little faster than when I cook tri-tip on the 22.5"...maybe not as much smoke as the tt gets.

Nice job! I rarely see flat irons in the meat departments around here. I'll have to go on a quest :-D

Nice job! I rarely see flat irons in the meat departments around here. I'll have to go on a quest :-D

Ron, I have been seeing them more in the stores around here lately. I get them because they are $4.99/# about half the price of NY Strip.

Back