Those with flat-lids that have threaded bungs...

I am having trouble finding threaded pipe to go in the larger of the two bungs. I didn't measure it, yet, but I think it is 2 1/4". I took the threaded stopper up to Lowe's and couldn't find anything close to that size. Ideally, I'd get a 2 1/4" pipe nipple, add a 90-degree elbow to it, then get a plug.

Where do I go for this?

*Not interested in drilling additional holes in the lid and I'm not interested in a domed lid, either.

Most are 2".....did you check it to see if 2" fits?

Most are 2".....did you check it to see if 2" fits?

I didn't even find 2", I don't believe. I can't remember the exact sizes I was looking at, but I was holding the threaded stopper in my hand and didn't find anything that was the same size as it. Any threaded pipe that they had was much smaller.

Pipe is measured and described by the inner diameter, there for a piece of 2" pipe measures 2.250" on the outside.

Well, 2", then. Like I said, I didn't measure it specifically, but brought the threaded plug up there so that I could get an exact fit. I didn't find any pipe that matched the size of the plug that I took directly out of the drum lid.

Check the Galvanized section where its easier to find the large diameter. Galvanized is okay for use on exhaust.

Or with the electrical conduit. There is such a thing as rigid steel, I think it starts around 2" and goes up.

Those with flat-lids that have threaded bungs...

I am having trouble finding threaded pipe to go in the larger of the two bungs. I didn't measure it, yet, but I think it is 2 1/4". I took the threaded stopper up to Lowe's and couldn't find anything close to that size. Ideally, I'd get a 2 1/4" pipe nipple, add a 90-degree elbow to it, then get a plug.

Where do I go for this?

*Not interested in drilling additional holes in the lid and I'm not interested in a domed lid, either.
Go to a plumbing supply store. They should carry what you want.

which is the best wood for smoking meat is sold in home depot different type

chips instead of chunks. Anyone used wood chips instead of wood chunks in their UDS basket? Think I may try it Saturday. Seems like they would fit in the basket better and more evenly through the basket.

Intake Vent location

Hi everyone, rookie here. I'm almost done building my very first 30 gallon UDS I noticed that the vast majority of people here use 3/4 pipe nipples evenly spaced around the circumference of the barrel for the intakes. Does it really matter where the intake vents are located? Would it make a difference in the performance if four(4) one inch holes were drilled in the front of the barrel? Thanks.

Hi everyone, rookie here. I'm almost done building my very first 30 gallon UDS I noticed that the vast majority of people here use 3/4 pipe nipples evenly spaced around the circumference of the barrel for the intakes. Does it really matter where the intake vents are located? Would it make a difference in the performance if four(4) one inch holes were drilled in the front of the barrel? Thanks.

Doesn't make a huge difference. the Big Poppa Smokers use a one sided intake with a few holes that are controlled with a slide and it works very well

Most people say no to chips.

chips instead of chunks. Anyone used wood chips instead of wood chunks in their UDS basket? Think I may try it Saturday. Seems like they would fit in the basket better and more evenly through the basket.

The reason is that chips are thin, and will likely burn up too fast against the heat, and create too much smoke (white smoke) and then be gone after that -- no smoke...

which is the best wood for smoking meat is sold in home depot different type

Everyone has their favorites. Experiment with different woods to find the one(s) that you like the best.

Personally, my favorite is pecan wood on everything except beef. With beef I like cherry wood.

I see no reason it wouldn't work, but I think it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. A few wood chunks mixed in the basket easily provides enough smoke. Remember, you aren't taking on the smoke flavor past about 140*, so don't be too concerned with getting wood in the fire-basket top to bottom. My only beef with wood chips in my vertical offset is that a lot of them fall through the cracks and end up never burning. I only use them in my Webers, now.

New UDS

Here's my finished UDS, donor weber kettle 22.5" lid, 3 1" ball valves, 2 rack levels and an expanded metal 16" diam. charcoal bin with ash catcher. Did the initial smoke/burn in with a half a bag of kingsford @ 250-275* lasted over 14 hrs at that temp. Very consistent.

20140805_160150_zpsuwamqojc.jpg

I finished (well, 95%) my UDS this weekend. The drum is powder coated and all of the extra bits are painted. The exposed nuts/bolts and temp aren't pictured as being finished in some of the pictures as they were painted a couple of days later.

It has 3 3/4" intakes with pipe caps and 1 1" intake with a ball valve. The exhaust utilizes the existing bungs, so a 3/4" and a 2" exhaust. So far, getting to, and holding, 250*, 300*, and 350* has been crazy simple. Longest burn was 3 hours, but I will be doing a long cook this weekend.

I will be adding an elbow/plug to the larger exhaust and plan on doing the big belly mod for the ball-valve. The front of it will eventually get our BBQ team logo, once we decide on a design. (www.facebook.com/pitfaced if you are interested :))

20140809_143917_zpszvkezrhx.jpg

20140809_182437_zpshjttcpbm.jpg

20140809_171855_zpsuikytklk.jpg

20140809_182538_zpsh2xkpiq6.jpg

20140813_002619_zpse56lkxqv.jpg

20140813_002710_zpsskisoeq7.jpg

I then finished the matching cooler/radio last night. 4 6x9s, Bluetooth, and it holds beer.

20140812_225237_zpsbb4o0izl.jpg

20140812_235209_zpsmf0pxuz7.jpg

Charging terminals:
20140812_235243_zpsyqzfc2p7.jpg

This is the only pic I have of the inside, before everything was cleaned, painted, and installed:

20140803_213151_zpsunjpclfd.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't make a huge difference. the Big Poppa Smokers use a one sided intake with a few holes that are controlled with a slide and it works very well

Actually the BPS kit comes with (2) vents, and they instruct to put four 3/4" holes in each. Basically one vent per side. I used the kit on my sons' UDS and it works great. Also gives you the option for grilling with a second charcoal level.

Thinking of building a UDS, do you think this would work? I does not seem to have the dreaded red lining.

Attachments

• IMG_20140813_133502_837.jpg
    IMG_20140813_133502_837.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 782
Back