Dehydrated stuff

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Looking at Adams' Goulash it tastes best with small pieces of green/yellow/orange peppers, etc.
How great if you always have one in the vegetable drawer, but I never have one when I need some. Does anybody dehydrate peppers, green onions, garlic, mushrooms, or any of a dozen items you never can or do stock.
If you have a handfull of dehydrated green pepper pieces, and rehydrate them are they even close (acceptable) to fresh? I see it works well with mushrooms.
Ed

My wife just freezes them (onion/peppers) and then they cook up soft like normal.
I have never tried to dehydrate first.
Will be interested in responses.

We have all of the above in freeze dried version. They hydrate well and retain the nutrients much better than dehydrated, frozen, or canned. Depending on what you are cooking you can just add as is and they hydrate in the mix / cook.

We also grind after freeze drying to make our own spices. I will never buy garlic powder again. Jalapeno powder will spice up about anything - Great on deviled eggs!

I just need to get the ghost peppers to produce.

I like to fire roast sweet peppers. Peel the charred skins and freeze. Ready any time I need em and they taste way better than fresh ones.

I dehydrate onions, peppers, and mushrooms whenever I have leftovers. I've found that they work well in any dish that has a lot of liquid in it without hydrating - they rehydrate while the dish is cooking. Onions and peppers end up very close to the texture of fresh, mushrooms less so, but the flavor extremely close if not exactly the same.

I think they also help thicken the dish since they're absorbing some of the liquid.

Of course, this method doesn't caramelize the onions so if that's called for, you'll need to rehydrate first. I'm too lazy to do that so I can't help there. I did recently retort can some Vidalia onions; they caramelized nicely so I intend to use them in any dish calling for caramelized onions.

Back