First smoke on my new WSM

O

oldsaintd

Just picked up my 22.5" WSM and got an 11 pound butt to test it out because I've heard on the first few cooks the temp is a little uneven and I figure a butt is the most forgiving meat. Any suggestions out there?

Just picked up my 22.5" WSM and got an 11 pound butt to test it out because I've heard on the first few cooks the temp is a little uneven and I figure a butt is the most forgiving meat. Any suggestions out there?

I am sure you will get a lot of good cooking advice. My main advice is to relax and enjoy the cook.

Congratulations on the new WSM.

Hey OSD,
The temps on the new WSM probably won't be uneven, they'll be a little high. The new shininess of the WSM cause that.

Minion Method start, catch the teps on the way up. When you put your butt on, you may see the temp drop a little. If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'. It's gonna plateau at around 160* for anywhere from 1 to Lord knows how many hours (I once had 2 butts take 23 hours to cook on my offset). The butt will be done when it's done. Don't use too much smoke wood.

Let us know if there is anything specific you need too.

Have a ball!

Since you're gonna be using all of that fuel anyway why not cook at least two butts?

Yup, more meat. don't worry about the temp change, since it's your first go on it you'll be having to figure out how to dial it in anyway. Just watch those temps and try to stop them before they get high, once it goes high it is hard to bring it down.

What Harbormaster and Augie said! Be patient, they always take longer than planned and you may go through a lot of fuel. Cook a couple and freeze the extras....or call some neighbors. If you use water in the pan, there should be no problem with temps going too high. Mine actually wont go over 230-240 with a full water pan. For some reason, every butt or shoulder I've smoked has taken 13 hours.

Congrats on the fine investment!:cool:

Thanks guys, I think I may throw some chickens on there as well halfway through.

Congrats on the WSM!! Good luck on that first cook...Oh wait your cookin' with a bullet you don't need luck. Keep us updated!!

Hey OSD,
The temps on the new WSM probably won't be uneven, they'll be a little high. The new shininess of the WSM cause that.

Minion Method start, catch the teps on the way up. When you put your butt on, you may see the temp drop a little. If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'. It's gonna plateau at around 160* for anywhere from 1 to Lord knows how many hours (I once had 2 butts take 23 hours to cook on my offset). The butt will be done when it's done. Don't use too much smoke wood.

Let us know if there is anything specific you need too.

Have a ball!

Not much at all. Mabey 3-4 chunks for the whole cook. Its easy to get too much smoke flavor from a WSM.

Dan

You will enjoy the WSM. All of the above is good advice,especially the part about taking longer than you may plan for. Allow plenty of time & if it gets done early just foil, wrap well with old towels & cooler it longer. Will stay warm for hours.

I've been using a WSM since 2001. At first I took lots of notes with respect to outdoor temperature, wind speed, how the vents were set, etc. Over time I figured out what worked and what to do when things were not going so well. Experiment and have fun!

You've gotten some really good tips, here!

Concerning cooking just one pork butte.... a lot of guys like their wsm's with no water in the pan, and my point isn't to argue the merits either way. However, just keep in mind that the newer WSM is pretty big, so I'd make sure I always kept enough meat in it for the sake of moisture if you took the "no water in da pan" route. (Actually, it goes without saying, but I'd suggest first learning how to cook with water in the pan before ever trying dry if you're cooking at traditional low bbq temps.)

You've probably read about how the factory gauge should read thirty degrees or so lower than the top grate cooking temp, so keep that in mind and don't think you need to be in the middle of that "smoking range" if trying to cook in the traditional 200-250 range. I like my factory gauge a tad over 200, but rely on the Maverick to target 235 at the grate.

Assuming a traditional low and slow cook, smoke overnight to be on the safe side, and have a decently insulated cooler that you can pre-heat with hot water to hold the wrapped butt in for up to five hours or so if it's done early. (I kept a few for six hours once and they were still plenty hot, and turned out super moist.) Just fill the cooler with crumpled newspaper around the wrapped pork butt.

Good luck!
Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller

My first cook on the 22.5" WSM was kinda crazy. The temps went way too high, too fast and even with everything shut down all the way, it maintained 300F+ for many hours.

I chose a pork shoulder for my first victim just like you have. It came out just fine - only a lot earlier than I thought it would.

For my second cook in the LgWSM, I nailed a full packer brisket that my wife is still raving about . . . and on the second cook, the cooker behaved itself very nicely!

But most of all, relax and have some fun playing with smoke and fire. You've had some great advice so far - thanks everyone!

SHould have built a UDS...JUST JOKING! Have fun and bring us the Pron. My Last comp I saw a lot of those big WSM's, I like them alot better then the 18.5's, but I never cooked on them. Good luck and show us the Money shot!

just the same ones I gave you yesterday!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78641

Why multiple threads?
Sorry to be repetitive but the difference in the 2 posts is I now have the WSM and changed what to cook the first time via all the nice ppl on here. After this cook (that I'm in the middle of) I will surely need that brisket/rib info. Hopefully this baby will lower in temp a little, having trouble keeping it in the 250-275 range.
Wish me luck!!
Ian

I also have a new WSM 22, did some ribs for the Super Bowl as the first cook. They came out OK, but it did run hot, as I expected. I am doing two overnight butts tomorrow, can't wait. I used a cheap offset for a couple years, and I was shocked how well this thing held its heat on the first cook.

Frank,
Even w/ these high temps this WSM is way more stable than my old Brinkman offset. plan on cooking a brisket and some ribs tomorrow and should see some lower temp hopefully:wink:
I'm at 260 for 45 min right now so maybe its evening out:-D
Thanks,
Ian

When it's brand new and shiny, it'll run hot. Once it gets a layer of crud built up, it won't be so bad.
260 at the dome (I assume you are measuring the dome) is good. You'll be fine there.
Good luck on the rest of the cook.

Back