Hot dogs for 40 - please help me make the best of it

Taco chili cheese dogs are awesome. Just take a hot dog put nacho cheese and chili on it wrapped in a soft taco shell. I came up with this when we had left over stuff to use and went to the drive in with friends.

Thoey those are awesome! I was going to suggest that but figured they would be doing a ton of dogs.

Yeah, if you estimate 2 dogs per person, that is eighty dogs. Two per might not be enough. I'd probably do 100 with sides to make sure there is enough. Luckily, I would think all the spiral cutting could be done in advance.

Adding bacon is great, but wrapping 100 dogs in bacon would be time consuming. If you are going to do that, might as well stuff with cheese too.

All depends how "fancy" you want to get...

Cloverdale Farms meat products are distributed by Cash and Carry, United Grocers, and Smart and Final. The hot dogs come in 10 pound boxes and in different sizes.

I use the 6 inch 4/1 size (4/1--4 to a pound or 1/4 pound each)

They come all beef for just under 20 dollars----or 50cents per dog
or the chicken/beef/pork dogs are approx 16 dollars ----or 40 cents each

These are not "Premium" and are not expensive----but they are great products, and when I use them people always ask what brand they are.

40 people-----40 units to a box-----must work

Seriously, you guys are amazing. So many great ideas!!!! Would love to try every one of them. Here's what I'm thinking this time around. Definitely want to try smoking them - a fitting, entry-level first smoke! I'd also like to spiral cut and have a big ol' condiment bar to make it more legit. I will likely try the Aldi dogs since price is a factor and I've had nothing but the best experience with them.

Some new questions!

1. What kind of temp qualifies as low and slow for hot dogs? 250? And, I hate to even ask something so simple, but what's a good indicator of doneness? I will have my SUPERUBERLIGHTNINGFASTSPECIALFORCESCHUCKNORRIS ORANGE Thermapop standing by as well as the Maverick 733, though it seems almost comical to take the IT of a hot dog. But nevertheless!

2. No one loves smoke flavor more than I do, but I'm a little skittish about the warnings that nothing kills food faster than oversmoke, and I'm thinking the spiral cut may give me even more opportunity to screw this up thusly. Would you all do wood chunks or chips, and how much? I suppose part of that depends on the cook time from no. 1.

3. Would something like the Smokenator 1000 help me here? Seems like it would help maximize grill space while keeping temps pretty even. With my non-COS offset almost done, I hate to buy, but wouldn't mind investing if it would be a good addition, but not if it would be redundant. Would it have any advantages over the offset, say for smaller cooks? Better "lump" mileage?

Sorry for all the questions, guys - you all are champs! Hope I make you proud! Planning a trial run Sunday night...

You can get tasty all beef hot dogs from Aldi for $2.50 a pound; that's $1 less per pound than Walmart. I personally can't stand hot dogs made with a mix of chicken, pork and beef. (Which are like $1 a pack). Might want to check Sprouts as well.. they often have sales on stuffed fresh sausages (in natural casings) for only $2.99/lb.
See I'm the opposite I grew up poor so I was raised on the Mixed hot dogs and cant stand the taste of all Beef hot dogs.

LOL...don't worry about checking the IT of the dog, you'll see when it's done.

This was a spiral cut...not much of a spiral but you get the idea. This was Aldi beef dogs as well.

I made dogs this weekend. Served with chili, mustard and onions. Had some kraut going too for the non believers.

By chili I mean chili sauce not chili with beans in it. Here's the recipe I use. It's out of sight.

1 onion finely diced
1lb. ground beef.
2 cups water
3 Tbls chili powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. dried oregano
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Saute onion in olive oil till translucent.

Add spices and water, stir to combine then immediately add the ground beef and break it up in the water to make a slurry.

Stir that around and simmer until the meat is cooked through.

If the sauce gets too dry just add more water. It should look like liquid with meat in it.

Hot dog bun.
Chili sauce.
Finely diced raw onion.
Spicy brown or yellow mustard.
Hot dog.
Eat.

Thank me later.

Seriously, you guys are amazing. So many great ideas!!!! Would love to try every one of them. Here's what I'm thinking this time around. Definitely want to try smoking them - a fitting, entry-level first smoke! I'd also like to spiral cut and have a big ol' condiment bar to make it more legit. I will likely try the Aldi dogs since price is a factor and I've had nothing but the best experience with them.

Some new questions!

1. What kind of temp qualifies as low and slow for hot dogs? 250? And, I hate to even ask something so simple, but what's a good indicator of doneness? I will have my SUPERUBERLIGHTNINGFASTSPECIALFORCESCHUCKNORRIS ORANGE Thermapop standing by as well as the Maverick 733, though it seems almost comical to take the IT of a hot dog. But nevertheless!

2. No one loves smoke flavor more than I do, but I'm a little skittish about the warnings that nothing kills food faster than oversmoke, and I'm thinking the spiral cut may give me even more opportunity to screw this up thusly. Would you all do wood chunks or chips, and how much? I suppose part of that depends on the cook time from no. 1.

3. Would something like the Smokenator 1000 help me here? Seems like it would help maximize grill space while keeping temps pretty even. With my non-COS offset almost done, I hate to buy, but wouldn't mind investing if it would be a good addition, but not if it would be redundant. Would it have any advantages over the offset, say for smaller cooks? Better "lump" mileage?

Sorry for all the questions, guys - you all are champs! Hope I make you proud! Planning a trial run Sunday night...

Don't go low and slow. You want a high temperature to get a nice char and crust on the dogs(only way they are edible)

Check out GFS (gordon's food service) I'm sure you have one there, Murfreesboro does. They sell cases of good quality all beef dogs. I use them when I vend. A good size for a bun is the 8 per pound. A case of 80 I think is about 25 cents a dog.

My favorite way to eat a hot dog is to put a slit in it(not all the way through) and stuff with cheddar cheese. Then wrap in bacon and cook until bacon is crispy

I did 240 for the wife's elementary school spring festival last week. Got everything from Sam's club. Smoked them for about 45 mins. The kids and adults loved them so much she volunteered me to do it again on the last day of school. Nacho cheese sauce was a hit with the kids.

They sell Nathan's at Sam's Club. They are pretty dang good, you can also get them at Shamrock or other food service firms. Sounds like fun.

I gotta to agree with the suggestions for spiral dogs. We cooked about 100 of them at an Eggfest and they were so popular some folks were grabbing them before we had a chance to put them in buns.

After the initial cut, I sprayed with olive oil and seasoned them with celery salt before grilling. Our condiments were a jazzed up garlic mustard (yellow mustard and oriental mustard powder, pickle juice and garlic powder), smokey ketchup (ketchup and liquid smoke to taste), onions, relish, grilled peppers, and pickle spears.

WOiZp.jpg

Cabbage is a cheap way to dress up some dogs. Make up some tangy coleslaw for slaw dogs. Cook down some thin sliced cabbage and onions in a cast iron pan over high heat until it softens and starts to brown. Plain caramelized onions. You could also make some giardiniera which is spicy italian style pickled vegetables. All of these are fairly cheap options that will make things a little more interesting and not cause you a ton of extra work.

Back