Buffalo jerky

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anyone make any? A friend gave me a bunch of roasts and rib steaks to jerk up for her. Any pitfalls to look for, time temp wise? Thanks. I may keep a roast for my own darned self, as payment. And slow cook it up.

I have made LOTS of beef jerky but never any buffalo jerky...but I would think a low (150 degree) smoker with some hickory would work great. Just dont go too heavy with the smoke. A little goes a long way. A lot depends on how thick it is sliced. Just keep a close eye on it and you will have jerky better than anything you can buy in the store!!

Turned out great on the test run, did four rib steaks and a roast. The roast was a leg roast, amazingly lean cuts in there. My dog REALLY appreciated the bone. Did thick cut to preserve more juiciness, smoked at 180 for a couple hours then ramped to 225 for another hour and a half, just right.

buffalo.jpg

Any other tips/tricks and a good cure to do this? Have lots of roasts and round steak that I could make jerky out of.

I cheat when it comes to jerky. I am a bigot and purist on the sauce and rub side but for good jerky I have loved the Hi Mountain cracked pepper garlic blend. It's too easy and I don't do a ton of jerky that often anymore. If you haven't used it, it's just a dry cure and seasoning, slice it all up, shake it on, put it in a ziploc overnight, get to smokin.

This stuff turned out great. Doing another batch this afternoon.

image.php

Back