Original Oklahoma Joe Purchase - Advice Needed

Bigpappa1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I could use some advice. I think I know what the prevailing wisdom will be, but hear me out...this guy is an original OK Joe (I can verify having seen the name plate a few other things I know to look for to distinguish an original from the cheaper generation). The guy is selling it for $250, I bet I could grab it for $200. I don't have a stick burner and have been saving to get a new one this fall/winter. Given the price and location, along with how small my cooks normally are (a rack of ribs and maybe some chicken) I wondered if I shouldn't grab this guy and just get into it. Again, prevailing wisdom probably says "it's an OK Joe, will last forever, and it's $250, just do it!". Here's my thing: I have got to imagine that guy is just hotter than Hades right near the fire box. I've been looking at RF cookers which would eliminate that issue, or at least minimize it. This looks like a 16" cooker (I'm verifying that) so there isn't a ton of space to go around anyhow. If there's a solid 12" at the FB end that's screaming hot, I don't know that I would get much out of it. Again, though, I wonder if I could refurbish the guy a bit and sell it for a profit. Maybe that's wishful thinking. Thoughts?

mva1a5b.png

LkTATgb.png

Last edited:
A tuning plate and fire management will go a long way to 'taming the hot end' of the smoker. :wink:

Your instincts are correct- buy it. :-D Even if you don't get involved with tuning plates, you'll be fine. Hot end can be great for chicken, sausage, hamburger, etc.

I have a Brinkmann Cimarron, which is essentially a mirror image descendant of that OK Joe.

Good for $200, needs a convection plate to even out the temps.

Well false alarm...turns out it's just a 14" unit. That's a bit small for my taste, no matter the cost. I gotta stop trolling the classifieds while I'm in waiting...

If all I were going to do was a couple of racks of ribs and a chicken, I could see this fitting the bill. My cooks are normally pretty small- and I could see it working.

Would 16 or 18 wide be better? sure.

42 long instead of 36 or 30? Yes, please

Would I be mad if this showed up in my drive way for that price? Nope.

and yes, I'd cook on the driveway :grin:

Back