Whole hog

C

Coal Cracken BBQ

If I cook a 125 lb pig how much yield would I get? I was told that you get about 70 % of live weight that sounds like a lot right.

That what I thought. I knew that you wouldn't get 70 % Thanks

If you are talking dressed weight with head on you will yield somewhere between 35-45lbs is my best guestimate of what I get. I've cooked about 5 in that size range this year. My personal opinion is a hog of that size will feed 140-160 most info I find online says it will feed less but I have not found this info to be correct.

Last edited:
Wow, you must feed small eaters. I figure 1.5 Lbs. dressed out weight per person. I always have a little bit left but not that much. The worse thing you can do is run out with hungry people still wanting to eat. You will usually yield 35% to 40% of dressed out weight. The yield is worse the smaller the pig.

If you are talking dressed weight with head on you will yield somewhere between 35-45lbs is my best guestimate of what I get. I've cooked about 5 in that size range this year. My personal opinion is a hog of that size will feed 140-160 most info I find online says it will feed less but I have not found this info to be correct.

That size pig will yeild approx. 45 lbs of meat. Best i can (or would try) to feed on that is 120 people.

YMMV :thumb:

On edit. and that statement above would be portioning 1/3 lb servings.
I've had a pig the same size devoured by 75 for a pig pickin.

Last edited:
Back