THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.
A chimney takes 20-30 minutes to get the coals hot. With a tourch, I can get the coals ready to go in about 3 minutes! :thumb:

Sure, it's fast, but I was wondering if there was some other benefit. My problem with the torch is that I'm bad about catching wood that I bury in the briqs on fire. Lately, for long smokes, I bury about 3 wood chunks in the briqs around the perimeter of the ring, and put three others around the perimeter on top...just barely touching the lit briqs that I pour in a middle depression. It works pretty good and I don't add any wood.

The torch is kind of fun though, isn't it? :-D

Sure, it's fast, but I was wondering if there was some other benefit. My problem with the torch is that I'm bad about catching wood that I bury in the briqs on fire. Lately, for long smokes, I bury about 3 wood chunks in the briqs around the perimeter of the ring, and put three others around the perimeter on top...just barely touching the lit briqs that I pour in a middle depression. It works pretty good and I don't add any wood.

The torch is kind of fun though, isn't it? :-D

It is fun but you don't bury wood chunks in the briqs when using one. First, you fill your ring with unlit coals, then light a few on top with the torch. Next, you put your wood chunks on top or the lit coals and assemble the WSM. As far as I know, this is the latest Minion method.

So does Jim Minion have any reason for lighting the briqs with a torch, other than being a little quicker?

It just SEEMS like I wouldn't get quite enough smoke unless I added a couple more chunks of wood a few hours later into the cook....BUT...I don't like the (initial) smoke I get when I add wood in the middle of a cook. :confused:

Dave, my advise is to not bury the wood. Try my way once. Great BBQ awaits...

5625610274_191ee488ce_b.jpg

5625014633_4287285e5e_b.jpg

5625025359_62a946de95_b.jpg

Ace Hardware and such in the north....nowhere in the south :crazy: Thank God for the internet, I guess. :-D

Michael, thanks for the suggestions, and I'll try about anything. Are you saying you wouldn't add anymore wood than the three pieces on top for a long low-n-slow cook? That's how I did it on my UDS, but since there was significantly less air to the coals, the wood lasted a lot longer than it does on my wsm...and the wsm water pan "washes" the smoke, too. Just wonderin'... Thanks for the thread. :-D

Michael, thanks for the suggestions, and I'll try about anything. Are you saying you wouldn't add anymore wood than the three pieces on top for a long low-n-slow cook? That's how I did it on my UDS, but since there was significantly less air to the coals, the wood lasted a lot longer than it does on my wsm...and the wsm water pan "washes" the smoke, too. Just wonderin'... Thanks for the thread. :-D

Dave, 3 or 4 chunks that size is all you need, trust me.

If you go to sears.com, you will see the 22.5" listed for $315 and the 18.5" for $265. Take them into Lowes or Home Depot to get them to price match them. You'll probably have to order them or you can get a pretty good price on Amazon as well, although the prices have gone up $30-55 each though in the past week it appears.

If you go to sears.com, you will see the 22.5" listed for $315 and the 18.5" for $265. Take them into Lowes or Home Depot to get them to price match them. You'll probably have to order them or you can get a pretty good price on Amazon as well, although the prices have gone up $30-55 each though in the past week it appears.

Thanks for that, forgop! :-D

Just got a new toy myself a couple of weeks ago,a shiny new 22.5 WSM :whoo:. I had a Chargriller smok'n pro for about 3yrs. but got tired of all the mussing I had to do for long cooks not to mention the fuel. I've only been able to use it once but I'm convinced it was worth selling my CG for,hands down. I intentend to break it in a little more during Easter...here bunny,bunny,bunny ...muwahaahaahaa ...:twisted:

100_1888a.jpg

100_1896aa.jpg

Back