BBQ comp cooking class question

got14u

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to go to this class. It is actually local and not to many things come this way. I have heard of cancersuckschicago but not much. They are part of this class. Any thoughts on these two guys that are putting this on? It seems like they have some awards and know what they are doing to me...any ways here is the info they posted for the class...I am sure some of you know them personally so figured I can get a hell ya or no way....leaning towards the hell ya

Mike Wozniak Bio

Mike Wozniak “QUAU” has been cooking since 2001. He was the first team in KCBS history to record a perfect season in 2006. He consistently finished in the top 10 for KCBS Team of the Year and in all of the categories. He travels the country and has competed in almost 30 states. In 2010 he finished as the KCBS Team of the Year. Also in 2010 they won the Jack Daniel’s World Invitational Grand Championship.

Scottie Johnson Bio

Scottie Johnson CancerSucksChicago.com started cooking in 2005 with 2 contests. Competes to raise awareness and raise funds for cancer research. Cooks in memory of my wife who passed away in 2003, leaving myself and my daughters who were only 5 and 1 at the time. We named our team after a button my wife wore to chemo every Thursday for almost 18 months. In 2006 cancersuckschicago.com won the prestigious Jack Daniels’ World Invitational Grand Championship. This was the day after my dad passed away from cancer and I decided to stay and cook the contest in my dad’s memory. In 2008 finished at the 8th place team in the KCBS Team of the Year out of almost 5000 BBQ Teams. Has finished in the top 10 and the top 20 consistently for KCBS Team of the Year. Raises money across the US and is trying to unite the BBQ community with our cause. So far we have competed in 31 different states.

and here is the website about the comp I am thinking of joining you can read their write-up about the class about halfway down....thanks for any tips
http://www.wyo-bbq-bluegrass.com/BBQ.htm

Don't. Hesitate. For. A. Second.

Are you signed up yet?

Why not?

Now?

Just do it!!!

Haven't attended the class, but I notice QUAU is currently at the # 1 spot in the KCBS TOY standings. He's also # 1 in Chicken. And in Ribs. And in Pork. I think he finished # 1 last year, too.

I guess it's possible he knows what he's doing. :rolleyes:

You must be very, very new to Competition BBQ if you've not heard of these guys !

It'd be worth the money !

You don't want to know what I'd give to go to that class!!!!!

I went to Scottie's first class here in Chicago a couple of years ago. Mike was a guest instructor for chicken only at that time, but he chimed in with tips and suggestions throughout. Both did an excellent job and I recommend the class highly. One tip that I took from Scottie led us to two first place finishes in pork (plus another where we were tied for first and lost the coin flip) and 39th overall in the TOY pork category last year.

QUAU took the GC at last years' Jack Daniels, 2010. Cancer Sucks won the same GC in 2006.

I took Scotties class in Chicago this past winter/spring......would definitely recommend it!!!
Mike did ribs in this one and Scottie did all four with complete recipes. Recipes I wasn't worried about as much as techniques. That class alone has paid for itself!

Thanks for all the feed back everyone....I will definitely get on their list then, and very cool to hear from the ones that have attended their classes.

Ya I don't follow names much....been a bbq/foody guy for about 7 years just not much for competitions in Wyoming...thanks
You must be very, very new to Competition BBQ if you've not heard of these guys !

It'd be worth the money !

working on it :becky:
Are you signed up yet?

That sounds like a real bargain at 225 for the days events.
I would jump on.
Consider it a once in a lifetime opportunity.
jon

Back