Question about cleaning the Big Green Egg

B

bendosia

Hey guys. I have a large big green egg.
After a long cook, I close the dampers and put the rain cap on the BGE. Usually, I pull the BGE under the roof of my porch, but this time I neglected too. :redface:
As a result, after opening up the BGE the following week to cook some wings, there was mold all over the inside! I was sooo pissed!
I basically took my torch and tried to burn/clean the inside pretty well, and the mold seemed to have disappeared. However, a few days later, I see the mold has come back! Granted, there is significantly less mold, but it's still there.

Anyone got any suggestions to permenantly get rid of the mold inside? it's a white colored mold that appears spotty all over the ceramic inside.

Clean out all of the ashes, leave it out in the sun with the lid open for a while, and then build a decent fire and let it go for a couple of hours.

That worked for me the one time I had that happen.

Thanks man. I'll have to try that when I get home.
This is the first time I've had this happen to me. You can be rest assured I am not leaving my BGE out without any cover! :cool:

I'd also take a propane torch and just blast it all over ,or let it burn as hot as you can get it for a while

Yeah, when I first tried to clean the BGE, I used my torch on the grill and the ceramic parts. I focused mostly on the grill, so I think that might be why the mold grew back on the ceramic.

Back