BBQ Brethren "Cheesesteak - The Philly Way" Throwdown!

Man. We really might just have to start an actual Ribeye Murderer Club here after all. You GO Jason!

Fark man, I've been coming up with a plan but I'm not sure how anyone is going to top this.

IMG_3543.jpg

I'm torn over the money shot. Maybe Al can decide for me between these two.

IMG_3524.jpg

I'm not Al, but I'd go with the Schmitter. That wiz-wit looks good, too, although I prefer provolone. I think the Schmitter will get more votes, for it's uniqueness.

BTW, I believe Tony Luke's offeers American Cheese on their sandwiches -- not sure.

CD

I'll be happy if the aliens just stay in the mother ship...

IMG_3552.jpg

Those are called children Guerry, man you don't get out much do you? That mother ship is the best darn babysitter money can buy. The kids even get some exercise. :shocked:

I've never seen philly style steak sandwich sauce - what is it comparable to?

It's basically just a standard red sauce, maybe less oregano and spices than what you would normally see in a typical "spaghetti" sauce. This was the first time I've used it and everyone really liked it.

I'm not Al, but I'd go with the Schmitter. That wiz-wit looks good, too, although I prefer provolone. I think the Schmitter will get more votes, for it's uniqueness.

BTW, I believe Tony Luke's offeers American Cheese on their sandwiches -- not sure.

CD

Yeah, I think maybe you're right, (yelling) BIGABYTE GO WITH THE SCHMITTER FOR THE MONEY SHOT PLEASE!!!

I was at Lincoln Financial a couple weeks ago for an Eagles preseason game and I had a Tony Luke's cheesesteak, they offered it with Whiz, Provolone or American. You can get American pretty much everywhere, it's actually pretty common. If you get a cheesesteak outside the city, most places just go with American automatically. Nothing drives me more nuts though then when I order a cheesesteak and it comes with mozzarella, that's a farking pizza steak and I didn't order a farking pizza steak. :mad2:

Fark me!!! I'll take one Schmitter to go please. :hungry:

Come on over man, we'll murder another Ribeye ASAP.

Now I've had Cheesesteak twice in Philly, and I get it's all about the bread. Since it's next to impossible to get authentic bread if you don't live there, I figured I'd make my own. It's probably the only chance I have at not scoring a zero. :shocked: I started searching the internets until I found a recipe I thought looked authentic enough. It's a pretty basic bread recipe with the addition of heavy gluten flour (sorry Kathy)...:tsk:

Why am I reading this thread? I just started 6 weeks of no gluten, no dairy, no processed food, no sugar with an additional few weeks of rotating different kinds of gluten in to see what hurts the most -- hoping to find some that doesn't.

Fark. :tsk:

So this is how this California transplant see's the Philly Cheese steak. Now I don't expect to be able to compete with the great entries and of course the Schmitter but I have two things going for me (well three if you count Avocados). First I refuse to murder a rib eye (even if it doesn't cost$18.00 here) and second I scored some real authentic Philly Cheese steak bread, really I did here see for yourself.

real%20deal%20bread_zps058ec0c8.jpg

So Sunday after my team was embarrassed I decided to grill a nice 6" thick Rib Eye on Milton seasoned with BP and some Dulse Granules (thanks biggie great salt substitute).

on%20milton_zpsd7562cd3.jpg

Further proof that I did not have se... err oops wrong hearing, I did not murder that Rib Eye.

unmurdered_zps50f70066.jpg

I wasn't that hungry so just ate a small piece and decided to save the rest for later. Then it hit me I could make a Philly Cheese Steak without murdering a rib eye and still be true to the sandwich. So today I chopped some onions and bell pepper.

Onions%20and%20peppers_zps5c23fd50.jpg

Added some mushrooms and sliced up leftover un-murdered rib eye.

left%20over%20un%20murdered%20rib%20eye_zps7a38a905.jpg

Some provolone cheese.

say%20cheese_zps12ce8eb8.jpg

The next part was the hardest part, scooping it off the pan and putting it on the bread,it took me two tries to get it halfway right. That Tony Luke farker in the video CD posted made it look so easy. Here is the pay off, best Philly Cheese Steak I ever made. :thumb:

yeah%20baby_zps61602e69.jpg

Oh did I mention that No Rib Eyes were harmed or otherwise murdered in the making of this Philly Cheese Steak. :becky:

Great job Jason and I'd go with this one... :thumb:
IMG_3543.jpg

:biggrin1:

Edit... Never mind. I didn't see you had already picked the other shot.

Last edited:
Great job Jason and I'd go with this one... :thumb:
IMG_3543.jpg

:biggrin1:

Edit... Never mind. I didn't see you had already picked the other shot.

Thanks Al, I thought you were napping or something, I did use your choice in the Vets vs. Noobian TD though. :thumb:

So this is how this California transplant see's the Philly Cheese steak. Now I don't expect to be able to compete with the great entries and of course the Schmitter but I have two things going for me (well three if you count Avocados). First I refuse to murder a rib eye (even if it doesn't cost$18.00 here) and second I scored some real authentic Philly Cheese steak bread, really I did here see for yourself.

real%20deal%20bread_zps058ec0c8.jpg

So Sunday after my team was embarrassed I decided to grill a nice 6" thick Rib Eye on Milton seasoned with BP and some Dulse Granules (thanks biggie great salt substitute).

on%20milton_zpsd7562cd3.jpg

Further proof that I did not have se... err oops wrong hearing, I did not murder that Rib Eye.

unmurdered_zps50f70066.jpg

I wasn't that hungry so just ate a small piece and decided to save the rest for later. Then it hit me I could make a Philly Cheese Steak without murdering a rib eye and still be true to the sandwich. So today I chopped some onions and bell pepper.

Onions%20and%20peppers_zps5c23fd50.jpg

Added some mushrooms and sliced up leftover un-murdered rib eye.

left%20over%20un%20murdered%20rib%20eye_zps7a38a905.jpg

Some provolone cheese.

say%20cheese_zps12ce8eb8.jpg

The next part was the hardest part, scooping it off the pan and putting it on the bread,it took me two tries to get it halfway right. That Tony Luke farker in the video CD posted made it look so easy. Here is the pay off, best Philly Cheese Steak I ever made. :thumb:

yeah%20baby_zps61602e69.jpg

Oh did I mention that No Rib Eyes were harmed or otherwise murdered in the making of this Philly Cheese Steak. :becky:

Well Sir, That is just off the hook! I really loved the shot showing the Proper Aplication of the Mighty Themapen too!

Philly On Brother! :thumb:

Back