MY RIB Roast...

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I know there is a Prime Rib thread, (sorry Todd) but I was so proud of this cook, I wanted to show off... a little...:icon_blush: This was a 6.75# "Select" rib roast. Not the best, but it was in my price range. I used Guava wood, mixed w/ Kiawe wood. The smoke flavor was really mild, I wish it was a little stonger. I tried a drip pan, on the bottom rack, for au'jus, but it didn't work too well. I was at 245*, then went to 225* after I removed the drip pan. The total time was 3 hrs 10 min. Enjoy the pictures. Only thing missing was ABT's!!
IMG_1365.jpg

My Horseraddish Herb crust, rosemarry, thyme, garlic, black pepper, and Hawaiian Salt
IMG_1366.jpg

Mixed with Olive Oil
IMG_1367.jpg

Readfor the UDS!
IMG_1370.jpg

Fattie, stuffed with Mozzeralla and Jalapenos!
Christmas colors!
IMG_1372.jpg

UDS chugging along! Threw on some Portuguese Sausage, and Yams RonL style!
IMG_1375.jpg

Finished product, not the best pic...
IMG_1376.jpg

Scalloped Potatoes w/ parmesian, and cheddar
IMG_1377.jpg

Oh My! Absolutely THE best rib roast I ever tasted.
IMG_1378.jpg

This was good also...
IMG_1379.jpg

The cooks reward! Sliced it up, mighty fine ribs!:p
IMG_1380.jpg

My Plate, Oh yeah had Pumpkin pie,and Double Chocolate brownies
for desert!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

EyeCandy Supreme!!!

Awesome Looking Spread there, Roy. I dig scalloped taters, OH Man!!!!....:biggrin:

Looks really good! I'm going to have to try that just as soon as I find a Michigan source for Guave and Kiawe wood!

Actually, I'm going to do a rib roast for new years, using slightly less exotic cherry wood...

very nice spread you did an awesome job thanks for sharing

Nice work Roy! I didn't get a call so figured you had it under control, but I gotta know, did you turn the roast during the cook?

Way to go Roy, all the food looks fantastic.:cool: Smoke on bro smoke on.:icon_bigsmil

Oh yeah....everything looks great!! Drums are a prime rib cookin' machine, right Roy?

I used to say that a pork putt was the easiest big piece of meat to cook, but factoring in the short length of time a prime requires ....maybe a prime is the easiest. And you get some bones to gnaw on. :mrgreen:

Thanks all for the kind words...If you haven't done this, please do so, you won't regret it, like Thirdeye said, easy!

Oh yeah....everything looks great!! Drums are a prime rib cookin' machine, right Roy?
I used to say that a pork putt was the easiest big piece of meat to cook, but factoring in the short length of time a prime requires ....maybe a prime is the easiest. And you get some bones to gnaw on. :mrgreen:

You're so right! I did "brown" it on the kettle for few minutes. but oh so good, can't wait for left oves!

Nice work Roy! I didn't get a call so figured you had it under control, but I gotta know, did you turn the roast during the cook?

Brian...I did turn after an hour, but the drip pan kind of made that idea obsolete... How did you do your sauce? After 1.5 hrs, I didn't get any drippings...

Great pics and delicious looking food; now I am starving and I rarely do breakfast :) I just want a helping of everything! Thx for sharing the outcome of this awesome feast!

Very good looking grub there Roy! Where did you get your recipe for the crust? Looked pretty good!

Thanks guys, I'll be on my 3rd day of l/o's and I'm tired of it yet!:p
Bossman I got this from Tyler Florence, Food 911, I added a little more of everything! If you can sear the crust after the ribroast is done, it makes it that much better...

1 bone in prime rib beef roast, 3 ribs, about 6 pounds
5 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 cup grated fresh or prepared horseradish
Leaves from 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
Leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Questions, questions. . .

I used Guava wood, mixed w/ Kiawe wood. . .

What kind of flavor do these woods add?

What meats go best with them?

Why the mix?

I was at 245*, then went to 225* after I removed the drip pan. The total time was 3 hrs 10 min.

Why 245* then down to 225*?

Why'd you remove the drip pan?

What temp is safe for prime rib? (I have lots of friends/relatives that won't touch rare/med-rare, and some that won't touch medium)

Just an awesome spread.
Thanks for the lesson!

What kind of flavor do these woods add?

What meats go best with them?

Why the mix?

Why 245* then down to 225*?

Why'd you remove the drip pan?

What temp is safe for prime rib? (I have lots of friends/relatives that won't touch rare/med-rare, and some that won't touch medium)

Just an awesome spread.
Thanks for the lesson!

Give me a second, my head is spinning!:p
1. Guava is very mild, Kiawe is a type of Mesquite. and the wood I get is free!
2. Brought down the temp. to 225, because I took out the drip pan, it didn't work, I got no drippings. Thats the ideal temp. for the UDS, and because Thirdeye said so!:p
3. I guess you could take it to Medium Well, I'm guessing that would be about 140* -145*? Not sure, but a meat that costly, I wouldn't want to go past medium.

I hope this helps...

Back