What's your favorite use of mayonaise?

Well, 10 years here and I had never heard of using it as the main ingredient in a chicken marinade/rub kinda setup. Definitely going to try it with my new Oakridge Secret Weapon I have not opened yet. I'd call that "black ops secret weapon", but Mike already used that name as well!

Growing up and all the way till I stopped eating bread my "go to" sammich was BBQ Chicken on white bread, BEETROOT and cheddar cheese totally drowning in a tangy Mayo. probably the only thing that will make me eat bread ever again.

Have never tried Duke's. Looked up the ingredients and was disappointed to see it is made with soybean oil, something I've tried to avoid for years. Even their olive oil version lists soybean oil as an ingredient...canola oil too, another cheap new-age oil.

Saw it was originally created in 1917. Not sure but doubt soybean oil was used in anything back then. A little pricey but I'll stick with Sir Kensington's mayo made with either sunflower or avocado oil.
Just ordered more of both. Zero soybean or canola oil. The vid in both links is compelling as to the quality of the products.

Sir Kensington's Mayonnaise Avocado Oil Mayo Squeeze Bottle Paleo and Keto Certified

Sir Kensington's Mayonnaise Organic Mayo Gluten-Free With Free-Range Eggs

Couple of you have mentioned homemade mayo. I'd like to try making it. Ingredients and process?

Please read this, then the ingredient label on the back of whatever mayo is your preference. Non-fermented soy products are not here for your health.

Soy Alert!

Couple of you have mentioned homemade mayo. I'd like to try making it. Ingredients and process?

In it's most basic form, its egg yolk, a mustard product, and an acid emulsified with a fat.

You whisk the yolk, powdered or prepared mustard, and the vinegar/lemon juice/lime juice/etc of your choice and then whisk in you fat a drop at a time until it emulsifies.

I don't do it nearly often enough, but I love the end product so much more than store bought.

I try to tilt the custom mayo towards the dish I intend to use it in - e.g. I use avocado oil and lime juice to make a Latin-leaning mayo. Or grapeseed oil and red wine vinegar for a French-leaning mayo. You can add chipotle, or tarragon, or roasted garlic, or- or- or-

The possibilities are endless.

With the comments above regarding avocado oil and making your own mayo I decided to make avocado oil in my KitchenAid mixer. I used this recipe and have to say it turned out very yummy. Very easy to make and only took a few minutes. https://youtu.be/r8Kixk74bwo

From my research it sounds like avocado oil is the greatest thing ever. Just concerned that the other shoe will drop at some point and we'll be told it causes all sorts of diseases and worst of all gives you bad breath. In the meantime I'm sold. Just plain avocado oil and a few seasonings is great for bread dipping by the way.

I like tartar sauce. This looks like a good recipe.

How to Make the Best Tartar Sauce
PREP 10minsTOTAL 10mins

This easy homemade tartar sauce is extra creamy and perfect when served next to shrimp, fish sticks, crab cakes, and even roasted veggies.

Makes about 3/4 cup
YOU WILL NEED
1/2 cup mayonnaise, try homemade mayonnaise

1 small dill pickle, chopped very small (3 tablespoons)

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste

1 tablespoon capers, chopped, optional

1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill

1/2 to 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, optional

Salt and fresh ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
Combine the mayonnaise, pickles, lemon juice, capers, dill, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard in a small bowl and stir until well blended and creamy.

Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste then adjust with additional lemon juice, salt, and pepper. For the best flavor, cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for one week.
I made this yesterday for a fish fry. It's excellent. Thanks for posting.

With the comments above regarding avocado oil and making your own mayo I decided to make avocado oil in my KitchenAid mixer. I used this recipe and have to say it turned out very yummy. Very easy to make and only took a few minutes. https://youtu.be/r8Kixk74bwo

From my research it sounds like avocado oil is the greatest thing ever. Just concerned that the other shoe will drop at some point and we'll be told it causes all sorts of diseases and worst of all gives you bad breath. In the meantime I'm sold. Just plain avocado oil and a few seasonings is great for bread dipping by the way.
:thumb:

Been on the crusade with others over 20 years against new-ish oils. Soybean and grapeseed/canola oil are among the worst ingredients introduced by the processed food industry.

Back