First brisket

realspaazz

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Well, I heard about the $1.79lb brisket at Super Target (thanks for the heads up Fire Chief:-D). The second store had some left...so Monday's dinner was set to be brisket. Sunday night we did not get back from church till around 10:00pm. brisket was not trimmed or seasoned and I did not feel like starting a fire. Popped on to Q-talk and did a quick search found a great link to Patio Daddio's blog http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/02/hot-fast-bbq-beef-brisket.html. A few pictures of trimming and removing the fat kernels were just what I needed. Trimmed and rubbed with bovine bold and into the fridge. Woke up early and had to wander around for a while waiting to start the fire. 9:30 lit the chimney. 9:45 lit the chimney again and set up my wind-block (two patio chairs with canvas covers) 10:00 dumped the lit onto a full load of unlit and a few apple chunks in the wsm. 10:15 assembled the wsm (foiled waterpan, no water) all vents open she cruised right up to 350. 10:20 supposed to bring son to work... wife took care of that. I tossed the brisket on and hit the shower. 10:45 the temp was still at 250 and I wanted 350, but we had an appointment to keep so off we went. 2:30 back home and the wms is only registering 275, I'm thinking "looks like brisket for breakfast", but the internal temp was 187 so I knew that dinner was a good possibility. Tapped the legs and made Patio Daddio's glaze. 2:50 glazed and flipped. 3:20 glazed and flipped. internal was 203. Probed around a bit... it was good and tender where it was over 200, but half way down the flat it was still 187 and not tender yet. moved the temp probe to thicker part f flat. 4:00 internal reads 205. everywhere probes like buttah (it really is a great description once you have actually felt the difference. Pulled, foiled and rested till 6:30
DSCN3054.jpg

sliced easily,
DSCN3056.jpg

on the plate with a little romaine salad and a cous-cous salad.
DSCN3058.jpg

After two bites my 14 year old daughter says "Dad, you got two of these..right?" My wife chimes in "I wonder how late Target is open tonight?"

I'll take both of those as compliments. It was the best brisket I have ever had. Thanks to the BBQ-Brethren!! :-D:-D:thumb::thumb: I really appreciate the wealth of information shared here and the collegial way that it is shared.

that looked mighty tasty!!! I also have a 14 yr old daughter and when a compliment comes from her it must be good. Nice job!! This is an awesome site.:clap2:

Nice looking brisket, compliments from the family is what it's all about.

Brisket is awesome cold too!!! I don't think that much of this one will end up in other dishes.

Man, seeing a brisket cooked that well brings tears to my eyes. Great job!

Excellent work! You nailed it! :clap2:

Nicely done! I love brisket. I've tried to cook it myself but it just didn't turn out that good. It looked nothing like yours. My favorite brisket is at an Avon dining restaurant. My family and I go about once a month and I get the brisket every time. I should try and cook the brisket again though. Nothing like a homemade meal.

Back