brisket ?

P

pign aint easy

never really cooked brisket until we started cooking in comps , where iam from in Tennessee, brisket is not on the menu . anybody willing to give any pointers ? thanks, Mike

I am no expert but I always cooker full packer briskets. Brisket to me is a savory not sweet meat. I try not to change the flavors, I like beef and beef should...taste like beef..

Agree with Sal, brisket should taste of BEEF! Savory, smokey and meaty...

Yeah - the rub I use on brisket has a lot of beef bullion in it - most judges expect brisket to have a very beefy taste.
I also baste the slices in the turn in box with some of the juices immediately before turn in time.
I know there are competitors that are using the 'hot and fast' method. Using that method seems to retain that beefy flavor better. I still like to cook mine 'low and slow' and adjust with the rub.
Were you looking for something in particular or just everything in general?

A-1 steak sauce mixed with brisket aujus brushed on the slices before you turn the box in

A-1 steak sauce mixed with brisket aujus brushed on the slices before you turn the box in

Ya know... That would probably be good! Maybe not for competition, however. :-D

I don't think it would be a bad idea to get a pan of Corky's catered brisket. It's not really competition stuff, but pretty good to me, and definitely on the menu. Back in the day I used to get whole packers from the Kroger on Poplar and Highland for $0.99 / lb or less. Download episodes of Pitmasters last year where Myron talks about his brisket.

dmp

thanks yall ! keep them coming , iam trying to learn all i can about brisket ,,,, what temps do you cook at and all the other good stuff ,,,thanks again , mike

thanks yall ! keep them coming , iam trying to learn all i can about brisket ,,,, what temps do you cook at and all the other good stuff ,,,thanks again , mike

i cook at 240-250. I wrap it at 165 or when i like the color. I pull it when i put a probe in it and it goes in smooth with just a bit of give. No exact finish temp ever. Sometimes its 195, 200 and even as hight as 215. Resting it is important. For comps i use FAB B

Lea and Perrins has a Thick classic Worcestershire sauce....Great for Dipping & Topping!

Think that you may have cooked your brisket perfect...

Not so sure it is what you put on it as much as how you cook it...

Sled, you have very good brisket skills...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Seems as tho the judges prefer savory over sweet. I put a new rub together to accentuate the savory taste last weekend at the York Pa contest. Got my best finish ever for brisket.

Seems as tho the judges prefer savory over sweet. I put a new rub together to accentuate the savory taste last weekend at the York Pa contest. Got my best finish ever for brisket.

Agreed^^^^^ I went in the opposite direction last week at the same event and tried to sweeten it a bit -- worst brisket score in a long time.

Definitely savory with a kick, I like to marinate mine overnight (a packer brisket, point &flat intact) in a soy brine, then as I heat the pit I will pat off the excess marinade and rub it down with my brisket rub, baby will then rest till the smoker is at 250 – 300 the put that puppy on and throw some mesquite or hickory in the box with a bit of wild cheery wood for 2 hours, as this is smoking I am bringing the temp down to 225. After 2 hours I remove the beef to a aluminum pan and cover with heavy foil, add no more wood but enough coals to keep the heat at 200 – 225. after this two hours I remove the beef and place it back on the grill add a small loaf pan of apple cider in the grill for steam/moisture some more wood and finish it off for 2 hours or until internal temp reaches 160-175. there are lots of commercial rubs and marinades on the market I make my own. Here a rub to get you started on your beefy adventure, best of luck
RR

http://www.grouprecipes.com/108600/brisket-brown-sugar-rub.html

Oh great and honorable Moderator if the link is not kosher let me know and I will write out the recipe this is my recipe site

Holes from probing meat? How to prevent?

i cook at 240-250. I wrap it at 165 or when i like the color. I pull it when i put a probe in it and it goes in smooth with just a bit of give. No exact finish temp ever. Sometimes its 195, 200 and even as hight as 215. Resting it is important. For comps i use FAB B

When you probe the brisket are you probing it in the flat and if so do you ever have trouble with holes from your probe in your slices that you are turning in? I have had this as a problem and I am not sure what too or not to do. Thanks and all info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Sledneck for your input.

Don

When you probe the brisket are you probing it in the flat and if so do you ever have trouble with holes from your probe in your slices that you are turning in? I have had this as a problem and I am not sure what too or not to do. Thanks and all info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Sledneck for your input.

Don
My probe is my thermapen which is real thin. WHen I cooked with muzzlebrake and BBS in august they were busting my chops when they watched my use the thermapen and my hand was covering the numbers display. At $90 i guess its an expensive pice of metal with a blue plastic handle:becky:

FABulous!!!!

Hole in brisket slices

My probe is my thermapen which is real thin. WHen I cooked with muzzlebrake and BBS in august they were busting my chops when they watched my use the thermapen and my hand was covering the numbers display. At $90 i guess its an expensive pice of metal with a blue plastic handle:becky:

Sledneck, does it not leave small holes in you sliced brisket flats?:confused:
Does anyone else have this problem?
Don

Back