Corn on the cob - help!

Grilled Corn On The Cob

grilledcorn.jpg

- Peel husk back, disregard a few outer hush and remove the silks and soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- While soaking get some soft butter and mix in fresh herbs, we like basil, thyme, chives, fresh roasted garlic and yes a splash of lime (the lime is the bomb!!)… Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over coals or a gas grill for around 20 minutes or so (you will know when it is done)
- When done remove from grill and spread fresh herb butter all over and enjoy.

We steam ours and before people wig out about the trash cans! We have upgraded to aluminum 56 quart tamale steamer that does corn and anything veggie! Fill 3/4 with corn that is 40/50 ears water in bottom and about 45 min in husk... whala

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

IMAGE_043.jpg

IMG_2533b.jpg

Love the double trashcan idea!!!!!

I usually just grill, mine just wrap in foil with some Cajun seasoning and butter and toss on a grill. I know you wanted boiling tips, but thats all i got :)

Icorn for 50 people

Corn for 50 people is a lot.

I'd say your method of cooking will largely be determined by what sized pots and pans you have.

Me...I'd have to cook em in my turkey frying pot cause that's the biggest thing I got (hey...that rhymes :p)

Wow, some great advice in this thread.

The oven works exactly the same as the grill when left in the husk. You can even stack them, but rotate and cook longer. I would budget an hour at 350 if stacked 2-deep (YES, that 45 minute thread could be spot on... about 20-30 when I grill direct and rotate as others suggest). You can turn it off and they stay hot like potatoes when stacked... I bet a cooler would work if you want to hold and need to free up the oven the hour before serving.

The husk works as a steamer, especially when corn is fresh and not overly mature. If locally grown, I might chop the critters off the top by slicing the end, but way too early in the year for that unless you live in Florida or Texas? You have to burn the shucks to dry it bad... cook until shucks start looking dry.

Just get it hot in the husk and very forgiving... Get some gloves unless you have asbestos fingers like me and shuck it hot... leave on husks for handle (kids love it) and have a butter station for the gluttons. Silks will come off with shucks when left whole and fully cooked.

Good luck!

I love COTC!
This is my procedure.
Corn starts losing it's sweetness as soon as it comes off the stalk.
Ideally, you would take the corn from the stock and cook it right away. Realistically, you buy corn that was picked LOCALLY the day you will eat it. Buy it as early in the day as possible (when the truck arrives at the stand) and chill it immediately. That will minimize the loss of sweetness. This tip will separate you from your amatuer neighbors. Mice from men kind of thing.
I like to pull the husks back and remove the silk, then put the husks back as nicely as possible. Soak the cobs in cold water for 1 hour. Place on a medium grill for 20 minutes, Slather it in melted butter and some salt.
OMG

google, corn on the cob for a crowd. the first post that came up for me seems to be exactly what your looking for.

This is good advice - I grew up on Corn Country and if you boil for anything longer than 5 minutes you'r heating up parts of the ear that you don't eat.

Think about it, you only need to cook the outer shell

I buy some extra sweet corn from a farm north of here and they say to only boil for 3 minutes - and they're right!

3 minutes is great for corn picked that day. If you're buying 5/dollar at the supermarket and the silks are black and look semi-rotten, it's 10-14 minutes boiling. We do 10 minutes at our house, no problem.

It's all about the sugars turning to starches. Fresh is way better.

To the OP, two propane turkey burners and two 16" stock pots should easily cook corn for 50 people. Heat one pot from cold to boiling and time it before the event so you know how long it will take to boil the water. At the event, get the guests to help shuck corn (people love to pitch in and help) while you're bringing the water up to temp, then dump in your corn 10-14 minutes before dinner, then serve steaming hot at dinner. Lots of butter & salt containers, a few with peppers like adobo or chipotle in sprinklers too ..

Fresh corn 3-5 minutes (new-looking yellow silk) boiling
Old corn 10-14 minutes (silk turned black) boiling

seattlepitboss

When you are getting your corn, make sure the kernels are not dented. Dented kernels means the corn is old and no amount of cooking will make it tender. Being in PA, you probably don't have a local source ready. That means it is coming from FL, TX, or CA. Starting with the best product is the only way to get the results you want.

I don't even like eating it the day after it's picked. Someone mentioned that you have to cook older corn longer - I would choose not to eat it at that point.

I am a "Grill It" kinda guy :wink:

I just soak for an hour and on to the grill medium hot for 30 minutes or until the husks are cooked up and black.

Husk and silk come of easy peasy that way.

But, It is all good !!!!! :clap2:

TIM

A lot depends on how fresh the corn is, since anyone who has eaten corn off the stalk knows it does not need to be cooked, the longer it is off the stalk, the longer you need to cook it. Overcooked, the kernels get mushy and squishy, really overcooked and they deflate and you get wrinkled skins. Yuck!

I prefer steaming, really fresh corn (silks still all yellow) 15 to 20 minutes in steam. Silks turning brown, 30 to 35 minutes. I do not bother with salt or sugar (I am steaming). I use my 6 gallon brew pot, put a rack in the bottom and fill 2 or 3 inches with water and get it started. Keep a kettle simmering for adding water when needed.

That's my preference. I live in corn growing country. The old saying goes "don't pick the corn until the water is boiling".

I love COTC!
This is my procedure.I like to pull the husks back and remove the silk, then put the husks back as nicely as possible. Soak the cobs in cold water for 1 hour. Place on a medium grill for 20 minutes, Slather it in melted butter and some salt.
OMG

I'm with The Kapn.
No need to remove silks prior to grilling. In fact, I find they protect the kernels and provide moisture. Also, they peel off super easy and in one piece after they're grilled.

3 minutes is great for corn picked that day. If you're buying 5/dollar at the supermarket and the silks are black and look semi-rotten, it's 10-14 minutes boiling. We do 10 minutes at our house, no problem...

To the OP, two propane turkey burners and two 16" stock pots should easily cook corn for 50 people. Heat one pot from cold to boiling and time it before the event so you know how long it will take to boil the water...

Fresh corn 3-5 minutes (new-looking yellow silk) boiling
Old corn 10-14 minutes (silk turned black) boiling

seattlepitboss

Thanks to everybody that replied but this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I will have to pay more attention to the silk to estimate the age of the corn.

I do have one turkey fryer that I intend to use. I think what I'm going to do is break the ears in half so that more pieces come out per batch, and I'll just do batches as required. People can take more than one piece if they want and it might be a little easier to handle that way since most of these people will be standing anyway.

I'll have to do a test run or two before the 4th because I'm sure if there's a way to do it wrong, I'll find it. Who would've thunk that cotc could give anyone problems? :-D

If you going to do a lot the trash can is your best bet. If you really want to get creative husk the going pot in trasg can with new potatoes , carrots and smoke sasuage. maybe a few sweet tater . steam until done then lay a clean sheet or butcher paper on picnic table pour can out on table let people serve themselves.

I shuck them and put them straight on the grill. I like to char it up a little. It brings out the sugars and makes it really good.

I shuck, boil 5 min and then throw on the grill after I hit them liberally with some spices (what ever works well with the other things I am grilling.

Landarc brings up very good point about the freshness of said corn. That will be your munchkin in quest for perfect corn. that being said....forget all about grilling it, smoking it, yada yada. Bring a big pot of water to boil, toss ears in, bring back to boil for anywhere between 4 and 7 minutes then remove from pot. It's really a matter of personal preference. I tend to like my corn "ala dente". Some like it "well done". The fresher the better. Don't bother adding sugar or for gods sake, don't waste good Jack Daniels in the water!

A quick not to try that a relative tried. DO NOT TRY!!!
They ran a few non-soap cycles through their dishwasher. Then ran a full load of corn on the high heat, high dry cycle. The corn was just past raw.

I like the trash can double boiler!

I think what I'm going to do is break the ears in half so that more pieces come out per batch, :-D

Probably would be nice to go that route, but shucking, removing the silks & breaking in half seems like a lot of work. Guess that too is why I'm a "grill em in the husks" kind of guy.

Good luck n enjoy.

Back