Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

I assume you have meat coming tomorrow
Closed tomorrow, but delivery is Tuesday.

Maybe you should give US Foods a chance at keeping your walk-in full :)

It's already full, but I did just sign up with US Foods to help with some products they can get at a better price. That kicks in next week.

Looks like you have your supply and demand down to a science.

That is one of the good things about the situation. We're at a point where our orders each week are almost spot on. Usually we have a few things that carry over come sunday, but not this week. Then again, we were using the second smoker to keep up this weekend, so that threw things off a bit.

Awesome story. My family and I will be taking a trip up to Michigan from Cincinnati next spring and we will def stop in. Just hope I can wait that long!!!!

I'll have a better update later, but this picture sums up my week. On Wednesday, both walk-ins have every shelf packed with a few thousand pounds of meat. This pic was the state of the walk-in this afternoon. Didn't have a single ounce of BBQ to sell.

24osz05.jpg

Post the "before" picture sometime when your delivery is made!

I'll have a better update later, but this picture sums up my week. On Wednesday, both walk-ins have every shelf packed with a few thousand pounds of meat. This pic was the state of the walk-in this afternoon. Didn't have a single ounce of BBQ to sell.

24osz05.jpg
There's the problem. There's walking space in that cooler! Pick up a drone and pluck your meat out with a claw. :loco:

Just made it through this entire post! Took me a couple weeks (and a few scoldings by my boss)
What a fantastic journey! Thank you for sharing Jeremy.
I hope to be able to get out to Niles sometime, but it's quite a drive from Taxachusetts.
I really heve nothing more to add that hasn't been said already. Keep up the great job your doing and please continue the updates!
Curious though, With all the Brethren stopping by, have any of your employees found this thread??
Hope to meet you soon!

Well, I thought I was going to give an update the other day, but where has the time gone?

It has been a busy and amazing few weeks. For starters, I went to a big food show up in Lansing a week or two ago. I learned a lot, but most of it is very depressing when you see what the standards are across much of the restaurant industry. EVERYTHING is just pre-packaged BS food. It explains a lot about the quality of food you see in most mainstream places though. You don't need to be a chef to open a restaurant. You just need to open some cans or tear open a bag and warm something up. Hell, there were at least three companies there trying to sell me pre-cooked BBQ meats. One had pre-cooked (and sliced, mind you) brisket. And some nasty ass rib tips, frozen pulled pork in like big tubs. Insane. And then this one popular dressing company, who I won't name, all but called me stupid for "wasting time" making my own coleslaw dressing instead of buying it already made by the gallon. WTF? How hard is it to make coleslaw dressing? It takes all of five minutes to make enough to last the entire week. And it's fresh!

Just amazing really. And sad. When walking from booth to booth people almost seemed shocked that we are actually cooking at the restaurant. They were amazed and asked dumb questions like, "wow, but doesn't that take a lot of time?" Just have to shake your head.

In other food related news, we are starting with US Foods next week to pick up some of the slack on produce. They come in a little better in pricing on a few of our staples like potatoes, cucumbers, and cabbage, and since every penny counts, we'll see how that goes. They are a bit higher on some of the meats and/or carry slightly cheaper meats but not from the packers I want, so no moves on meat yet.

Football season has been kicking our ass. The past two Saturdays have been just insane. Last weekend we had the main smoker stocked full, plus had a few briskets, ribs, a dozen chicken, plus keeping warm 4 briskets and 4 butts in the Shirley and it still wasn't enough meat to last the day. On game day people come in and just order massive meat by the pound to go. 5 pounds here, 7 pounds there. Hell, that's like a whole butt or brisket gone right there. And we went through a record 7 pans of corn bread. There's 35 pieces to a pan, so that's almost 250 pieces. And corn bread only comes with dinner platters, not sandwiches or by the pound unless they add it separately. :shock:

And I'm just finishing up a menu refresh this weekend. Trying to make adjustments for higher food costs mostly. But also going to stipulate that additional sauce cups with to-go orders will cost extra. Early on I didn't mind letting people try multiple sauces because I wanted them to find something they like. Well, we're taking a big hit on all those freebies now, especially when people want to try three or four sauces, or are just regulars who want an extra one thrown in. Each sauce cup/lid alone costs about a nickel and then you've got about $0.18 in sauce, give or take depending on the sauce. So just giving away 50 extra sauce cups a day is like throwing $12-$15 away every day. $60 a week, or $250 a month isn't chump change. So, not looking to make a bunch of money on extra sauce or turn customers off, but 25 cents or something for an extra sauce will at least cover our cost so that I can recoup that.

Coupons. Let me address coupons. Holy ****. These bring out the worst in people. They are a double-edged sword. Coupons are great because they get new customers in the door. Every time we run a groupon or deal with the local news station, most people who come in tell us they never even heard of us until they saw the coupon pop up in their email or whatever. That's great. But then you have the other 20% of people who are just trying to get the world for free. They come in with a group and want to place a $100 order and then stack a half dozen coupons to get it all for free, you get people who come in months after they expire and treat you like a piece of trash if you don't accept it anyway. From a customer service (and sanity) standpoint, coupons are just downright awful and not worth it. But for getting new people in the door, they are very beneficial. It's all give and take, but given how business has been thus far, I'm slowly winding down all of our coupon offers.

Time. I don't have any. EVERYBODY wants a piece of your time. My cell phone rings off the hook. Yesterday my voicemail box finally hit 100% full. I think I had at least 40 unread business related emails. If they aren't calling me, they are calling the restaurant and want to speak to me so they can sell me something, or schedule an appointment, or have me come to their event, or speak to their group, etc etc. Even outside the restaurant I can't escape it. Seems no matter were I go somebody is pulling me aside to talk BBQ. Just yesterday I went into a hardware store to grab batteries and one of the employees spotted the logo on my shirt and then followed me around for five minutes and just wanted to talk and talk. Don't get me wrong, it's quite flattering and all, but I hardly have enough time during the day to take a piss, so when I've got people all day every day just begging for a few minutes of my time, it's just hard to find the time to manage the business or take care of personal stuff.

Not you guys though. I love you all and even if I am extremely behind in answering your PMs, I will get around to it I promise! :-D

Speaking of time management, I've got a new chef starting next week. They are seasoned and ready to go, and we need the help in the kitchen so that we can turn our focus on all the pressing catering issues that are piling up. I think we've already got six events on the books for October, from a wedding, to a few BBQ contests, fundraisers, and even a corporate event. My kitchen staff and I are already doing 50-60 hours just maintaining the restaurant, so catering business has been shoved to the back burner and it sucks to turn money away.

I'm sure I've missed a few things, but my hour break is over and I need to get back to the restaurant to make sure we're ready for the friday night insanity. And I will get to those lingering PMs and emails in the next few days.

Coupons. Let me address coupons. Holy ****. These bring out the worst in people..
I am sorry, but that cracked me up. It is amazing how some folks will behave with coupon/groupon thingies.

BBQ Groupies...who knew? I hope they're not all fat, middle aged, men in overalls

2 days later and I am finally at the end of this thread. Great thread marubozo and congratulation on your success. After reading all the problems you had starting off with the contractors and inspectors I am glad once you open your restaurant it was a instant success. This thread will help many who one day may want to take the plunge and open a restaurant. People in your area probably have been waiting a long time for a good bbq restaurant since they had to suffer with eating prepackage bbq from other restaurants. Glad you are providing good que in your area.

I am newcomer to this forum and just starting to learn how to bbq myself. My bbq have improve some just the short time I been a member of this forum.

Did I miss the pics of the new Shirley Fab cooker loaded with meat?? I've been dreaming about those photos.

I am sorry, but that cracked me up. It is amazing how some folks will behave with coupon/groupon thingies.

BBQ Groupies...who knew? I hope they're not all fat, middle aged, men in overalls

People will do anything to try to get something for free. Just this morning somebody came in with a groupon and TWO restaurant.com coupons and wanted to use them all at the same time. WTF, no you can't so just pick one.

Hah, and not all groupies are your typical BBQ men. There are of course some ladies :wink:

So when is your vacation time coming up????? :p

I took my first actual day off for that food show. It was on a wednesday so I had a chance to let the place run itself. It went just fine, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about it all day and itching to get back.

But here it is Saturday, our busiest day, and I'm sitting at home on the couch right now. I worked lunch, but my crew urged me to go home for a few hours to relax, so I am. I've also started to take Saturday mornings off and let them open and start on all the prep. That gives me a few hours at home when the family is actually home and not at work or school.

So, I'm getting there. A week long vacation might be still a ways off, but I'm finally getting comfortable enough to spend less than every waking moment at the restaurant.

I'd highly recommend not considering the coupons anymore, you have enough business as it is that bringing in that type of clientele and risking blowing up against them in front of your existing customers could be bad. but then again what do I know, hows the food trailer going?

I'd highly recommend not considering the coupons anymore, you have enough business as it is that bringing in that type of clientele and risking blowing up against them in front of your existing customers could be bad. but then again what do I know, hows the food trailer going?
I agree. And when it comes to Groupons, they are the worst. Where I live, a restaurant that starts doing Groupons is basically writing their own obituary. It seems only struggling restaurants use them, and all they do is hasten their final demise.

Ok, just because the brethren are so damn awesome, here's my pickle recipe. This is my home sized recipe that makes two quart jars or so.

Ingredients
• 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white vinegar
• 8-12 cloves of garlic
• 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt
• A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
• 1 teaspoon coriander seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

Finally got around to making this recipe. I didn't have Hungarian wax peppers so I made a batch using jalapeño and another using habanero peppers. I just broke into one of the habanero bottles and damn they are good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I used 1/2 a habanero per jar.

I agree. And when it comes to Groupons, they are the worst. Where I live, a restaurant that starts doing Groupons is basically writing their own obituary. It seems only struggling restaurants use them, and all they do is hasten their final demise.

yup that seems to be the consensus, it's an immediate influx of cash for a struggling business only there is no profit in it, only losses. It gets you through an immediate hurdle but i've actually stopped buying groupons and instead checking out the businesses to see if I can support them through standard channels.

http://blog.bodellconsulting.com/20...taurants-and-everyone-else-including-groupon/

Where has the past week gone? I don't even know what day it is. It's been crazy as usual. A few more brethren have stopped by, which is always cool.

But this weekend kicks off what will be a ton of events through the end of the month. Tomorrow we're taking the mobile units to some harvest festival. We are one of only two food vendors, so as long as the weather and turnout is good, it should be a great boost for weekend sales.

Then on monday we're taking the Shirley about an hour away to a hog farm. They are bringing in clients and vendors of theirs from all around, have some great craft breweries coming in, and we have been given the honor to cook their fresh pork for everyone. Doing a bunch of whole loins, butts, ribs, and bellies. The pressure is on to make sure we don't fark this one up!

Then rolling into next week we've got a big wedding and a few big tailgate parties. A few days later the city is having a "BBQ Crawl" and contest, which we obviously are entering and should be serving a few hundred people. After that, we're setting up the mobile units to do a fundraiser which will require cooking 300 chicken dinners. :shock: I'm tired just thinking about all of that.

Today I rolled out the official start of chili season. People have been begging for it since I stopped serving it back in March, so they are glad it's back. I guess I got to keep serving it while we still hold the title for best chili. And finally, we're putting the finishing touches on our thanksgiving smoked turkey whatchamacallit. People really want us to smoke turkeys for them, so we're going to put together a first come first served list and when the slots are filled, they are filled. Then the day before thanksgiving I'll cram as many turkeys as I can into the Shirley and call it a day.

Thinking back and realizing I'm closing in on the first actual year of business, it's amazing to see how little I actually knew, how much I've learned, and how fortunate I am with how well things have gone. But never take anything for granted.

Congrats Jeremy. May all your successes continue. Been reading from the start & yours is a great story. Keep up the good work & hope to finally meet you one of these days.

A few years ago I smoked some turkeys on Tuesday. People picked them up Wednesday evening at a rib dinner. I purchased a box of about 25 turkey sized cooking bags and placed each turkey in one of them. I also provided a juicy juice box of apple juice and instructed them to pour the juice in the bag and then cook at 225 for 1 - 1-1/2 hours. Everyone said they came out great.

Sounds like you are keeping very busy, and what was your vision before you started. I remember is was not much. You're doing great.

Back