Rib Rub Question

Rodsboots

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How long do you leave the rub on your ribs before smokin...
do you overnight em? I have two racks of spares for a BBQ at work tomorrow, not sure if I should rub em now and stick em in the fridge or just do it there before we cook

I started out doing them overnight... Past few years I shifted to applying the rub within 30 minutes of putting on the grates right after I trim them and/or remove membrane while cooker is getting hot.

Never noticed a big difference if any except that if the rub was salty a lot of moisture would be sitting in the plastic wrap the next day.. I figured that was not as desireable as the potential for extra rub penetration so I changed.

Now...for me, it's just easier to make a mess once instead of twice.

I've never done it overnight.. I didn't want to overpower the ribs.

if your rub has some salt in it 1hr is good dont overnight salt pulls all moister out and leaves it on the pan

I rub them while the cooker is heating up, Then on as soon as the temp is stabilized.

for myself i rub the night before.depending on the salt & sugars in the rub it can actually "cure" & make them hammy appearance wise.

for the public or if i were to compete-a couple hours before puttling them on the pit.

I rub them a couple hours before going on the smoker. But....my homemade rub has very little salt in it.

I rub them about 8-9 hours before cooking, and I have a fair amount of salt in my rub. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Hi

As a newbie can you direct me to a thread that talks about trimming a rack of spares? I've always cooked the whole darn thing, was never aware of the need to trim.

I'm here to learn

Thanks
Dave

I rub mine the night before and put in the fridge. I never had a problem with moisture but I don't use a lot of salt either.

I've only cooked ribs about 5 times, but the last 2 times i had the rub on overnight and they turned out fantastic. I didn't have a ton of salt in the rub though.

Agreed......I apply the rub while the smoker is heating up. That usually gives it 45min. to 1hr. before going on.

I try to rub the ribs 12 hours prior to cooking, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Seems to work, as I only got 1 rib of the 5 racks I cooked this weekend. Wish someone had saved me a few......

I know that Fredbird lets his ribs season overnight. There isn't a whole lot of salt in the rub and he got 3rd in the American Royal Invitational with them. Something worked.

I know that Fredbird lets his ribs season overnight. There isn't a whole lot of salt in the rub and he got 3rd in the American Royal Invitational with them. Something worked.

it was the pit boss

Back