PRON from 1st UDS cook

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Howdy.

Here are the pics from my first UDS cook!.

Pic 1:The chicken was serious goodness... I couldn't believe how good it tasted. The fat rendered out from under the skin and it crisped up very well.

Pic 2: Mac 'n' cheese from scratch... with gruyere and extra sharp cheddar

Pic 3: RIBS!!! 3-2-1 method... with brown sugar, honey, and Parkay on the foil. They tasted awesome, but may have been overcooked... the bones slid right out and I couldn't get them out of the foil for the last hour for the sauce to set. Maybe I'll try a 2-2-1 or 2-1-1 modification to the recipe. Top= Woody's pork rub, with Kansas City bbq sauce; middle= pre-seasoned form Hebert's, Cajun sauce; bottom= dry rub only.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions during the build, during the test burns, and during the cook itself! More to come...

Last edited:
Wow! All great lookin food! That's a great start with the UDS!

Papa

Alright!! got that bird standing at attention!!

Looks good

Did you use a heat diffuser? If you did, you'll probably like the chicken flavor even more without one. The bird sure looks good though, no matter how you set it up!

Dave
UDS, wsm and ots, char-griller

great first cook.............you will love your UDS more each time you use it !

WOW! Thats some nice looking eats - thanks for posting the pron.

You must've sacrificed to the food gods because those look great!:cool:

Looks fantastic! How did you talk Guerry into being an ingredient in the mac and cheese:confused:

Good looking grub there, mac-n-cheese looks tasty. For me, the ribs might have been overdone if the bones pulled clean, but, if they tasted good, who cares?

Good lookin' eats right there! You're gonna love that UDS.

I've had some good luck with trying the 3-2-1 method, but never have gotten to the "1" part. Usually take out of foil and the ribs are done. So I would monitor the ribs however you do it.

Yeah the ribs were overdone for me too... I would have liked to get them out of the foil so I could let them go for another 30 mins at least, but they were falling apart as I tried to get the foil off. So I just opened the foil up and let the racks sit in the foil on the cooking grate for another hour or so. Still tasted awesome though :-D Will try 2-1-1 next time. Do baby backs need more or less cook time than spares?:confused:

Did not use a diffuser of any kind. I 'm not sure how a diffuser works... does it keep the fat from hitting the coals?

Would be setting up to do a pork butt this weekend... but I think the old lady is BBQ'ed out for a little while... as if there could even be such a thing :shock:

Would be setting up to do a pork butt this weekend... but I think the old lady is BBQ'ed out for a little while... as if there could even be such a thing :shock:
Why don't you make chunks from it and do some UDT butt? :-D

Looks great from here! Love the sound of the mac and cheese. :-D

Back