The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

I've settled into a pretty good rotation of cookers with a drum, kettle and pellet grill.

How do you like the PB horizontal? I'm have the drum and the kettle, but am really torn of what pooper to get. I can get the biggest PB from Lowes with an employee discount, but are they good enough? Do I need to spend more to get a decent one or is the PB good enough?

How do you like the PB horizontal? I'm have the drum and the kettle, but am really torn of what pooper to get. I can get the biggest PB from Lowes with an employee discount, but are they good enough? Do I need to spend more to get a decent one or is the PB good enough?

I am happy with my pit boss but they do have some short comings.

they are not pid and temperatures can run in a range, not unlike an oven. can be upgraded for $100. mine works well enough. some folks have had problems but pit boss is good at warranty claims.

the biggest flaw in my opinion is where the firepot is located and how the handle heat deflection. in my model the firepot is centered. this puts a hotspot in the middle and I have problems with too much heat coming through the deflector. an aftermarket diffuser can help. some of the pit boss cookers have it to the side, their lineup is confusing, each store can have it's own line of bosses.

I really like the sear function. it's great for a few burgers or 2 steaks.

the lineup works well for me. I thought about keeping the vertical instead for long unattended smokes and large volume cooks. in the end I prefer the profile of the drum for things like butts and brisket. I didn't really need the extra capacity and I actually trust the drum w/2 vents open more then the pooper overnight.

the horizontal pellet cooker is on my front porch. I use it for quick cooks. good at things like meatloaf or doing trays of abts. I really like using it for reverse searing . my front porch cooker is also what I use most in the winter so the boss has a prestigious position in the lineup.

I would say they are good enough, especially if it is not your main cooker. aside from a better controller and a better heat shield (at least on my model) the only flaw I see is a poor hopper design. there is a flat spot at the bottom and the pellets can bind up if you dont keep an eye out. all three of these issues can be fixed for under $150. I personally haven't made any mods to mine

last night I made a 3 lbs bone in ribeye on it

and this center cut t bone pork chop

they are not pid and temperatures can run in a range, not unlike an oven. can be upgraded for $100. mine works well enough. some folks have had problems but pit boss is good at warranty claims.

the biggest flaw in my opinion is where the firepot is located and how the handle heat deflection. in my model the firepot is centered. this puts a hotspot in the middle and I have problems with too much heat coming through the deflector. an aftermarket diffuser can help. some of the pit boss cookers have it to the side, their lineup is confusing, each store can have it's own line of bosses.

the lineup works well for me. I thought about keeping the vertical instead for long unattended smokes and large volume cooks. in the end I prefer the profile of the drum for things like butts and brisket. I didn't really need the extra capacity and I actually trust the drum w/2 vents open more then the pooper overnight.

the horizontal pellet cooker is on my front porch. I use it for quick cooks. good at things like meatloaf or doing trays of abts. I really like using it for reverse searing . my front porch cooker is also what I use most in the winter so the boss has a prestigious position in the lineup.

I would say they are good enough, especially if it is not your main cooker. aside from a better controller and a better heat shield (at least on my model) the only flaw I see is a poor hopper design. there is a flat spot at the bottom and the pellets can bind up if you dont keep an eye out. all three of these issues can be fixed for under $150. I personally haven't made any mods to mine

Nice looking food!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did some Prime plate ribs from creekstone I picked up awhile back. Smoked for about 6 hours then wrapped in bp for about 2 hours. They probed tender and think temp was around 206. Let them rest for 2 hours and I thought they were good, but a bit on the dry side. Not sure what the deal was with that? Really like spg and then black ops run on beef these days

2c7633334338c227dd374904a7ee6806.jpg

fd61cae68125fd6694ccdd94837289ff.jpg

e41096f33dfab1f8978928647ce4de5a.jpg

Memphis Elite

Did some Prime plate ribs from creekstone I picked up awhile back. Smoked for about 6 hours then wrapped in bp for about 2 hours. They probed tender and think temp was around 206. Let them rest for 2 hours and I thought they were good, but a bit on the dry side. Not sure what the deal was with that? Really like spg and then black ops run on beef these days

Memphis Elite

The marbling didn’t look that great. Might be why they were dry?

Memphis Elite

They look good!!! Prime plate ribs are definitely not a cut you’d expect to be dry... that’s for sure.

Maybe over done? did you use a therm or just go by looks? haven't done many beef ribs and never with temp probe, have a new set coming and going to stick a probe in every thing I cook and try to log how they turned out.

They didn’t have much marbling inside the meat..they might of went too long but they were like butter and temped abut where I thought they would be (mid 200’s). I have another rack so will see how those go next time I cook them. I also wonder if foil would of been better than bp?

Memphis Elite

Sucks when things don't turn out like you hope. My first beef ribs I think I pulled a little early, they were only 198* but they probed tender. The fat wasn't rendered enough though. Just did the other plate I had last week only this time I took them to 185*ish but put them in a foil pan covered and finished in the oven, turned out excellent, think final temp was around 203-206*. I seem to prefer the foiled pan finish method, I also do it with pork butts.

Thanks mate!! :thumb:

Nothing wrong with not being a PID controller. Some say it actually produces a better smoke flavor.

Nothing wrong with not being a PID controller. Some say it actually produces a better smoke flavor.

I agree. Offsets cook in a temperature range and are considered by many to be the gold standard. It doesn’t affect the cook or meat

I did it. I broke down and ordered my first pellet pooper. I haven't been grilling much because it has been kind of inconvenient and I just couldn't bring myself to get a gas grill so I am really looking forward to trying out the Rec Tec Stampede.

I did it. I broke down and ordered my first pellet pooper. I haven't been grilling much because it has been kind of inconvenient and I just couldn't bring myself to get a gas grill so I am really looking forward to trying out the Rec Tec Stampede.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking! :)

Do I have to do anything special to set up the rec tec for a low and slow cook? Be easy on me. All that I have ever cooked on is that wasn't an indoor stove or oven is open fires, webers and a bge so they all had to have different set ups for long cooks.

Trying to get ready for the delivery! :D

Just follow the instructions to clean it and fire it up on delivery, it will probably tell you to bring it up to certain temps for a set time to burn off any chemicals left from making it. set it on low throw some thing cheap on it and watch a temp probe while you play with the temps, hard to make bad food but you learn the more you cook with it.

Do I have to do anything special to set up the rec tec for a low and slow cook? Be easy on me. All that I have ever cooked on is that wasn't an indoor stove or oven is open fires, webers and a bge so they all had to have different set ups for long cooks.

Trying to get ready for the delivery! :D

Congrats. Is it a Bull, Stampede or Trailblazer?

No. You don't have to do any special set up for your new Rec Tec. Once you do the initial burn in at 400° for an hour when you get it assembled, you're good to go.

Next time when you're ready to cook, you just turn it on and select a temperature at which you'd like to smoke, wait for it to reach that temp and then put your food on when that temp is reached. Cook to desired doneness.

You also have the option to increase or decrease your cooking temp at any time during the cook if you should like.

For example, there is an Xtreme smoke, or LO setting. It is reached by turning it on and turning the temperature control knob counterclockwise, (or it can be done in the app installed on your phone) until the display shows "LO". That "LO" temp is a temp below 200°.

Some owners like to start a low and slow cook on the LO setting, and then after a couple or three hours, increase the temp using either the app or the knob, to say for example, 225, 240, 250..., whatever temp you want to smoke at, for the duration of the cook. For brisket, pork shoulder, larger cuts of meat, some owners like to turn the heat up during the stall. So you can adjust your temps during a cook if you like. But the simplest way that I've found is to select a temp, and run it at that temp for the duration of that cook.

Last edited:
Awesome! It's a Stampede. I got the bundle so getting 250# of pellets too. :p It will be here tomorrow. Trying to decide what my first cook will be.

Sounds like smoke setting would be great for smoking stuff like fish and maybe cheese. :clap2: I'm so excited I can barely stand it. The last new outdoor cooker that I got was the egg but that's been probably 12 or 13 years ago.

Back