Does low and slow work for a whole turkey?

raiderx

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been searching threads for info on smoking a whole turkey (specifically on a UDS) and so far everything I've seen has been cooked at 300 to 350 degrees.

Has anyone successfully smoked a turkey at 225/250? Is this even possible or is it inevitable that the breast will just dry out? Can you get the collagen breakdown in a turkey or is the fat content too low?

I wouldn't low and slow a turkey. Not enough fat and I don't think there is really a large amount of collagen to breakdown.

I was going to make a comment about the Raiders, turkey and "low and slow" but decided not to.

Poultry soaks up smoke more than beef/pork in my opinion. Don't know that poultry has the cologen as other meat that needs to be broken down. If you have that much fat in a bird you better start shopping somewhere else. You could make a wetsuit out of the skin on a bird cooked at 220.

I smoke turkeys all of the time, but I do it at around 300 (plus or minus a few degrees).

Getting ready to do a few for thanksgiving. Gonna smoke a few and fry a few. I plan to take one of the smoked birds and then throw it in the deepfry for about 3 minutes to crisp the skin and see how that works out. Nuthin better than crispy turkey skin.

Thanks for the info - I got some inexpensive birds to experiment with once the drum is built. I'll play with temps over 300 and see what I get.

I was going to make a comment about the Raiders, turkey and "low and slow" but decided not to.

I guess I set myself up for that! At least we're not the Lions, although I'm not even sure we could beat them this year. :roll:

I smoke turkeys all of the time, but I do it at around 300 (plus or minus a few degrees).

Getting ready to do a few for thanksgiving. Gonna smoke a few and fry a few. I plan to take one of the smoked birds and then throw it in the deepfry for about 3 minutes to crisp the skin and see how that works out. Nuthin better than crispy turkey skin.
Did that last christmas. Pulled 160ish, in fryer for 5-7 minutes. Was the first to go at serving time.

You can get it right, but does take some "doin' ". I just did a breast on the drum. This drum runs like a bds, about 280-300. I was doing some ribs and just tossed one on, bit of rub and away we go.
It was okee dokee, with the emphasis on okee. A touch bland, a little dry even though I pulled it early and foiled it Not bad, just "Ehh?" Too smokey as well, as I had enough chunks in for ribs.
The brine thing is key I think. For a whole bird on the drum, so is turning the bird from time to time.
Legs and thighs turn out great though.

I guess I set myself up for that! At least we're not the Lions, although I'm not even sure we could beat them this year. :roll:

Hey!!! What the heck is this all about ?? What did the Lions ever do to you ?? :twisted::mrgreen::cool:

I plan to take one of the smoked birds and then throw it in the deepfry for about 3 minutes to crisp the skin and see how that works out. Nuthin better than crispy turkey skin.

I did a some like that a few years ago. We called 'em "smofried" turkeys. Pretty darn good.

I've been searching threads for info on smoking a whole turkey (specifically on a UDS) and so far everything I've seen has been cooked at 300 to 350 degrees.

Has anyone successfully smoked a turkey at 225/250? Is this even possible or is it inevitable that the breast will just dry out? Can you get the collagen breakdown in a turkey or is the fat content too low?

At times I have smoked a turkey while I was smokin a brisket. I kept the temps low (225 to 250) for the brisket. The turkey turned out good but the skin was a little rubbery. Edible but definitely not crispy.

Thanks for the info - I got some inexpensive birds to experiment with once the drum is built. I'll play with temps over 300 and see what I get.

Dont forget the Chiefs. We are in contention for last place as well.

iirc DDD had a show with a BBq champ that served what he called pulled turkey 12-13 hour cook.

Yes. I have cooked them at 225-250 with no problem at all.

Now what I would not do is cook one that way stuffed.

I also agree that you need to bump the heat up at the end or roll it over hot coals to crisp up the skin.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with smoking whole birds (16-20 lbs) at 225 -250 for about 10 -12 hrs. I do recommend brining them for about 12 hrs before smoking. It really keeps the meat moist. I also soak my wood in a mixture of white wine and cranberry juice which kicks up the flavor.

turkey2-1.jpg

Not slow cooked ^^^
I don't think low and slow adds anything to a turkey. This was done at 350* in my smoker over apple wood.

I usually smoke a 10 lb turkey at a smoke of around 200 degrees until I get an internal temp of about 130. Then I put it in Char-Broils The Big Easy to finish it off to a breast temp of 170 and inner thigh of 180.
Brine
Brine.jpg

Smoking it in the Traeger
Smoking.jpg

Put it in the Big Easy to finished
InTheBigEasy.jpg

Finished
Finish.jpg

Back