Injecting your Brisket

QDoc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know many do and quite a few competition cooks do but I want to know how back yards cooks feel about it.
Do you use an injection if so do you use phosphates? Myself I'm not partial to the taste of phosphates but apparently BBQ judges are.
Apparently many Texas joints do ok without injecting. So what do you say?

I was a firm "No" on injections until I tried a few, and now I always inject for backyard. My favorite is Butcher's BBQ Prime injection found on Amazon. I trim and inject at least six hours before cooking.

Can you cook a great brisket without injection? Sure! But my experience is that especially with Choice grade brisket, injecting takes it up a notch and allows a little more room for error. My end result is much moister with injections.

Still and Salt & Course Ground Pepper guy. (Maybe a little Black Ops!)

I still inject at home, but maybe only use half as much, if that, as I would in competition.

I know many do and quite a few competition cooks do but I want to know how back yards cooks feel about it.
Do you use an injection if so do you use phosphates? Myself I'm not partial to the taste of phosphates but apparently BBQ judges are.
Apparently many Texas joints do ok without injecting. So what do you say?

I'm not a big fan of injecting a bunch of nonsense into my briskets. But I did try Kosmos brisket injection (regular) and it was actually pretty good. If I was trying to cook some brisket to entertain a group, I would inject.

At least inject some beef broth or something. Does not have to be phosphates and competition mystery chemicals.

I inject. It yields a juicier and more flavorful final result (yes even with salt and pepper).

I currently use BPS Cattle Prod and it's excellent. No staining and to my taste it doesn't taste "artificial." I will probably try one of the Kosmo's injections next. I tried his Moisture Magic with some Pork Prod on some Butts a while back and was really impressed.

I like Kosmos Prime Reserve if I inject. I've also taken a liking to the Minor's beef base/au jus combo which I believe is the "Myron Mixon" recipe. I usually use the "half strength" mixing instructions when I make "eating barbecue", I've found the full strength mix to be a little much on occasion and leave that for competition barbecue. I'd rather make beef taste beefier than change the natural way it tastes too much.

I'm happy either way. I might inject with Consomme'. ��

Campbell's, that is.

Not a comp cooker, but I inject my briskets with a rich beef broth made from "Better Than Bullion".

Last edited:
My wife, born in Hillsboro, TX, and chock-o-bloc full of Central Texas BBQ DNA, would shoot me if I used anything more than salt and pepper on a brisket. Sigh....

IMnotalwaysHO

I say no on phosphates. Reason is this. A friend had a bbq trailer for profit. He injected with some sort of phosphate stuff. (I want to say Mortons) Tasted good. He served brisket chopped. Went to a competition, used the same method for brisket only he sliced it. Slices had large spots from injecting. Crazy part is, a judge commented on "trying to artificially make smoke".

Yes inject, no to phosphates

I've only injected a couple times. When I did, I used low sodium beef broth.

Butcher's Barbeque Prime,(mentioned above) mixed with no salt beef broth. Seems to help moisture and adding beef base broth.

I don't compete but i inject with Butcher BBQ brisket injection and it kept my brisket moist and didn't change the flavor of the meat.

I inject with beef stock mixed with some beef bullion or beef base. I will also pulverize some salt and pepper and mix that in with the injection liquid. This gives a very flavorful final product and so far both me and my customers (daily lunch service) are very happy with it.

For competitions I've used Butchers, Kosmos, and BPS...for my personal taste I feel like BPS is much better than the others. Kosmos and Butchers both left a very "artificial" aftertaste that wasn't pleasant. With BPS I could easily inject at home and still consume a good amount of brisket, but with Kosmos and Butchers that's not possible (in my opinion / experience).

I've done briskets with and without injection and they both come out great. I inject the beef broth mixture simply because I know it works. It gives a good beefy flavor without compromising the texture of the meat or adding any kind of artificial flavor.

For competitions I've used Butchers, Kosmos, and BPS...for my personal taste I feel like BPS is much better than the others. Kosmos and Butchers both left a very "artificial" aftertaste that wasn't pleasant. With BPS I could easily inject at home and still consume a good amount of brisket, but with Kosmos and Butchers that's not possible (in my opinion / experience).

Agreed, I used the Butchers Prime once and felt it made my brisket fake tasting. Almost too beefy. Maybe I injected too much, but I followed the instructions on the container. Who knows. Since then I went to Meat Church injection and love it.

Back