Why is my chicken done at 159 degrees, thermometer is correct

Fatalis

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I made some chicken, grilled em for 20-30 minutes (thighs and legs) the thermometer said it was 155-159 degrees F, so I was stubborn and cut into all the pieces and they were all white and done. So I then tested my thermometer in boiling water and it is only 1 degree off. The legs were a little tough.

I don't really get what happened usually I have a real hard time with getting temps right, it usually gets to about 155 and then after that it takes forever to increase.

Any tips?

I always carry chicken legs/thighs to 175 I.T. or higher.I cook chicken breasts to 160 I.T.

In my opinion,NO,they were not done.

They were done dont sweat it. Even a little pink is fine. Scaremongers are everywhere.

They were done dont sweat it. Even a little pink is fine. Scaremongers are everywhere.

Not scaring,just being safe.Legs and thighs will stand much more heat without drying out so why chance it?Ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure.I will eat darn near raw beef(not ground,unless I grind it) and pork pulled at 140 or above.Chicken,nope!

if the meat didn't bleed then it was ok. chicken like anything else is done when its done and not always at a certain temp. temps are guides. i poke them in a few differant places and if the juice is clearish and not bloody, its done ! 160 deg seems cooked to me.

Remember, its not only temp. Its time at temp. Harry Soo was on BBQ Central show talking about chicken at 140 deg (+ or -) but he held it for 10 minutes. It was safe to eat according to FDA regs.

NUTZ

Webers grilling guide says that you should cook chicken to 165.

But, depending on how your cooking it can make a big diffrance on how it ends up.

I cook all my chicken reverse sear style.
If you cook it to 150 and then put it over direct heat to 165 your good!!

But,
If your cooking breasts. Cook them to 140 then sear them to 160 max or you will dry them out. And honestly, I pull breasts at 150. They are juicy and perfect!!!

Not scaring,just being safe.Legs and thighs will stand much more heat without drying out so why chance it?Ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure.I will eat darn near raw beef(not ground,unless I grind it) and pork pulled at 140 or above.Chicken,nope!

Good policy, Hoss-- More people wind up in the hospital each year because of tainted chicken than anything else. Moreover, there is an easy workaround to ensure moist chicken.

1. Flavor brine before cooking.
2. Slather with mayonnaise before cooking

Forgive me. I speak up because I once spent over two weeks in a hospital and the consequences are a result for what appears to be the rest of my life. Admittedly though, it was either bad hot dogs or bad shrimp in my case.

Back