Oakridge BBQ Rub-Santa Maria Flat Iron Steak

FamilyManBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Couldn't wait to use the rub samply I got from Oakridge BBQ. Cooked up a flat iron steak.

004.jpg

We used the Santa Maria Steak Seasoning...

010.jpg

012.jpg

017.jpg

Katie applied the rub.

007.jpg

009.jpg

Got smoker joe reader for a little reverse-sear action

023.jpg

Smoked over oak until @125 internal. Gave it a little rest, then...

026.jpg

033.jpg

The sear. And after another short rest...

037.jpg

038.jpg

Juicy Goodness!!

This was a big flat iron (2.35 lbs). Wasn't quite as melt in your mouth tender as the smaller ones we usually cook (we'll often buy two little ones @ 1.5 lbs).

We all really liked the rub!! Not quite as salty as some we've used. Has a nice consistent heat. I love how it looks on the beef...check out pics 8 and 9...that's juice from the steak and rub-nothing else. Awesome!!

Gonna give this rub a run on some tri-tip. Might make a fine Father's Day meal. We've come up with a marinade/wet rub/dry rub method for cooking our tri-tip that, I think, this rub will be perfect for.

That looks tasty!

How do you like your cast iron grate on the Smokey Joe? I bought a set for my kettle but I'm thinking about getting one for the Joe also...

Looking good! I think it's great that you're teaching your daughter the art of fire too. The funny thing is, I also grilled a flat iron steak last night...on a Smokey Joe...with a Rub sample. I'll be posting my cook after work. Thanks for the feedback on the Oakridge!

That looks tasty!

How do you like your cast iron grate on the Smokey Joe? I bought a set for my kettle but I'm thinking about getting one for the Joe also...

I love it!! :-D Use it all the time for reverse-seared steaks. It's awesome for tri-tip (we eat that very often in our house)!!

Looking good! I think it's great that you're teaching your daughter the art of fire too. The funny thing is, I also grilled a flat iron steak last night...on a Smokey Joe...with a Rub sample. I'll be posting my cook after work. Thanks for the feedback on the Oakridge!

That's too funny!! :becky: Great minds think alike, yes??

Katie really likes to help, usually. She's really close to being able to cook a few things completely on her own...looking forward to that, for sure!!

That looks incredible! Make sure you tell Katie she did an outstanding job!

Thanks for the review!

Mike

One other thing I meant to mention, but forgot till just now... On bigger flat irons like that one (or same goes with skirt steaks and flank steaks), try slicing them across the grain on a steep bias (45º angle or greater). This will produce a siginficantly more tender chew.

Mike

Thanks for the tip Mike!! We really like the flat iron in our house...for it's melt in your mouth tenderness. My kids used to refer to this as the "good steak" and all others were the "chewy kind."

Yeah, I don't think I did a great job slicing this one. Was eager to sample the rub and the juicy goodness!!

Thanks for the tip Mike!! We really like the flat iron in our house...for it's melt in your mouth tenderness. My kids used to refer to this as the "good steak" and all others were the "chewy kind."

Yeah, I don't think I did a great job slicing this one. Was eager to sample the rub and the juicy goodness!!

Haha! Gotta' love jucy goodness! Ever try skirt steaks rubbed with our new Santa Maria rub, then grilled to medium with fresh lime juice, sliced thin and placed on a warm flour tortillas with fresh pico de gallo, chopped cilantro, shredded monterey and another squeeze of fresh lime.... I'm just say'n.....

Looks really good, nicely done. There is a lot of parsley in their Santa Maria blend, that probably explains the not so salty taste.

Looks really good, nicely done. There is a lot of parsley in their Santa Maria blend, that probably explains the not so salty taste.

Actually, I think it's just because we don't use a whole lot of salt... :becky:

looks awesome, i love the flat iron steak. a very underated cut of beef

Beautiful looking flat iron. Nice rendition of a Santa Maria style rub...I've got to try that stuff!

GOoooo Katie!!!
Phabulous job Sister!!!:thumb:

Do I see a CI grate on the Smokey Joe?

Last edited:
Back