How many scrape your chicken skin....

Ken V

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
and what do you all use to scrape it with. I may have found a pretty slick way to do it. I normally use a thin filet knife but always seem to end up with a few holes. Last night I did 12 thighs and didnt have a single hole in any of them.

Stay tuned

Ken

Please, Please share... I always struggle with this... How did you do it and what did you use..... Any help with chicken for me is huge.... Thanks in advance.

I've been using one of those little square plastic scrapers like the ones used to scrape cast iron cook ware or pizza stones. It seems to work very well.

I used to love chicken....till i started competing....now the whole scraping of the skins and the prep work....grrrrrr.....me no likey yard bird anymore....i buy whole chicken skins that are off the whole carcass and are HUGE, so if i do tare a hole when scraping there is usually enough surface area left on the skin that i can cover the whole thigh still...usually get two thighs out of one chicken skin

He doesn't scrape it - he sucks the fat off of them. Stay tunes, he'll show you. :)

Last night I did 12 thighs and didnt have a single hole in any of them.

Stay tuned

Ken

120443338.jpg

Is that what y'all call it in Ill? :icon_blush:

Sorry it took so long guys. I dabbled in taxidermy for awhile and they use a tool to thin capes and such to open up the skin especially around the nose and mouth areas. On bird skin they use a flesher which is a wire wheel to defat the skin and open the pores...this is messy and takes some touch or you'll burn thru the skin. The tool they use around the delicate areas on capes is called a skife knife. You'll see in the pic below how it works, it is basically a single edge razor on a curve and takes a very small bite of flesh. I used it on 12 thighs and not a single hole, you basically start to scrape the skin pulling the knife towards you and just keep making passes til all the fat is removed. They run about $10.00 and I did all the skins on one blade in about 20 mintues.
It may be kind of hard to see in the pic, but do a google search for skife knife and a better pic and info is available. Mine is a C.S. Osborne & Co. #925
IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

I know of a shig armed with lady Bic. I imagine you would have to go through a box of them due to clogging. I've done the straight razor thing but not anymore.

I use a 3 inch Wusthof paring knife and just take my time and slice the fat off of each skin...takes a while, but hey, it's given me "bite-through" skin everytime..so I just plan ahead for my chicken prep... :becky:

Use chicken without thick skin and then you don't have to worry about it.

Skin side down in the Pan O Butter seems to take care of it for us but I have scraped before and will check out the skife knife

I lay mine on the railroad tracks near the house once the Minnie Pearl express runs I go back and they are perfect. Actually Mogreen does ours :p

Scottie, The thickness of the skin wasnt the issue...it was the fat. I was doing a little comparison with a another method and the one I learned at your class....I may be done scraping, figures, just when I find a way to take alot of the pain out of the process!

Ken

I just find that the organic doesnt have the thickness which I find as being fat. I used to scrape. Then again I have tried about every method with chicken.

Warren I get mine from Whole Foods. They're organic from a farm in Indiana. If you do a side by scrape with another brand. You will see much fat scraping from the organic.

Back