THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

diggles

Knows what a fatty is.
Read enough on this site about how to build a UDS, so I figured I should give it a shot. I've been wanting a bigger smoker for a while, and a barrel seemed like a great way to go since I don't have enough room in my garage for an offset.

Got the barrel off craigslist for $20. Took it out to my parents' place in the country to burn it out. Too bad the outside paint burned off, it was a really nice blue.

IMG_2546-small.JPG

I got all the parts and a buddy of mine came over to weld together the charcoal basket. After I put it all together and seasoned it, tested it out on a rack of ribs.

IMG_2567-small.JPG

A little darker than normal, but tasted pretty good.

IMG_2571-small.JPG

Wanted to try something that would take longer to see how it held a temp, so I did a pork butt. It was a little cold out, so I used my wind screen to help keep some of the heat in.

IMG_2600-small.JPG

IMG_2601-small.JPG

All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out. Cooking a pastrami on it as I type this. The last little change I need to make is to cut a hole for all of my probes to go through. For now, I'm just using one of the small holes where a bolt for the upper grate would go, but that is a big pain to get 3 probes through.

Looks great.

Add a diffuser pan, it will keep the meat from getting dark.

Back