Frustrated with cheating.....

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So I'm not about to make vague statements and accusations here. What frustrates me is when cheating is overlooked. Good friend cooked his first and only contest last year. We were chatting about it Sunday as it's coming up again. While discussing teams around him he tells me that team xxxxxx used a torch on their chicken. He never told the rep's because "nobody came by". P*ssed me off! If you see someone cheat it's your RESPONSIBILITY to turn them in. Wish that point was hammered home a bit more........there, I'm done. Thanks for the rant.

Totally agree!! I've seen very little cheating in the comps I've done but the folks who do it certainly don't deserve a walk -- except to leave the grounds -- so please let the rep know. Fair competition is fun competition :-D

Any time I have seen anything I have politly mentioned to the team "Hey you know thats illegal, right". All have been new teams and welcomed the help. I assume I would go to a rep if I ever got a buzz off response.

Once saw a guy who had sliced his butt and was braising medalions in a pan over his fire box. They were damn good by the way. He thought he was ok because he was not using gas.

So I'm not about to make vague statements and accusations here. What frustrates me is when cheating is overlooked. Good friend cooked his first and only contest last year. We were chatting about it Sunday as it's coming up again. While discussing teams around him he tells me that team xxxxxx used a torch on their chicken. He never told the rep's because "nobody came by". P*ssed me off! If you see someone cheat it's your RESPONSIBILITY to turn them in. Wish that point was hammered home a bit more........there, I'm done. Thanks for the rant.

Jeff,
That is so hard to hear from a reps point of view. During the chicken cooking, we're usually inside giving the judges meeting and making sure everyone is in place before cookers bring the chicken in. You are right, if we don't hear about it, we'll probably never see it. Reps can't be everywhere and cannot police the situation. Therefore, it needs to be reported. By your friend telling you about it after the fact, he knew he was cheating. Bad form!

I don't mean your friend, but the team that was cheating knew it. If they didn't and your friend turned them in, they would have known after a rep spoke with that team because we would have DQ'd the chicken.

We hear about things like this from time to time, and the person who declines to confront or report usually has the same motivation -- nobody wants to be the big meanie butthole. The same goes for nobody making the call when quiet time is being abused.

Nobody wants to be the buzzkill, but everybody wants their endeavors in this sport to be respected. I would contend that part of that respect should be universal respect for the rules. There will always be those who try to skate the gray lines or semantics of rulings, and they should be vigorously called out by those who pursue this endeavor with integrity.

Any time I have seen anything I have politly mentioned to the team "Hey you know thats illegal, right". All have been new teams and welcomed the help. I assume I would go to a rep if I ever got a buzz off response.

I think ^^^is the way to go...we should care if rules are being broken, but don't ruin your own weekend by getting the team dq'd unless they tell you to play in traffic.

If it is a veteran...I would hit em with what my wife tells me:

"The right thing never changes"

I hate when she says that...everyday...multiple times...before I even wake up.

Everybody has a camera in their phone these days. Snap a pic just in case, and then do as Balls suggests. If the violator doesn't make it right, show it to the Rep. Easy Peasey.

I would suggest you mention to the team if you see that happening. Believe it or not, it might not have occured to a new team that it was illegal. When the rules say " no cooking with gas", people think cooker, not torch. Its no excuse, but it could well be an honest rookie mistake. I speak from personal experience in this regard.

Brett

I don't mean your friend, but the team that was cheating knew it. If they didn't and your friend turned them in, they would have known after a rep spoke with that team because we would have DQ'd the chicken.

Thanks Bunny, I agree totally. If nobody tells you guys, how does anyone know?

As a new team starting this year, I expect experienced teams to point out if I'm doing anything wrong. I've read the rules for kcbs a few times but I don't want to be dq'd for something stupid that I or one of my teammates have done. A question I have is.. After I seperate the flat from the point on a brisket, can I put cubes of the point back on the cooker to get more color?

I agree, it probably happens more than we all know.

However, something like using a mini Creme Brulee torch to caramelize your sauce is pretty cool. :-D I wish the process was legal. I have never tried it, but would that qualify as using an artificial heat source to "cook" your meat? Are you really cooking your meat with a butane torch? It's only enough to caramelize the sauce.

I will say, if I see someone cheating, I don't give a crap if I hurt their feelings. If they are a new team, I will clearly clarify the rules. If it's an experienced team, I'm going straight to the rep. $10-$20k in prize money is on the line, and it's only fair to all competitors if we're competing on the same ground rules.

jrbBBQ, it's only pork that you can't do that with. Put your burnt ends back in and feel good about it.

Back