Should I inject, brine or just rub......

MRI_Guy

Take a breath!
Reaction score
This weekend I plan on bringing my (soon to be) completely finished UDS to UW Lot 60 for our tailgate party when the Badgers take on Arizona State.

The game will be our annual 'Bucky's Cantina' game - meaning Mexican food should be featured.

However - I really, REALLY want to bring my UDS to this game. So the meat of choice will be beer can chicken. A food that I can cook in the parking lot on the new UDS.

What would be the best way to give this a Tex-Mex flair?

I plan on using a Mexican beer for the can (possibly Tecate).

Any help will be appreciated to keep the Badger's record a perfect 1-0 for the 3rd consecutive week...........

I used BBQ Grail's chicken brine at the Princeton contest, and was really happy with how it tasted. You might want to consider that recipe and doctor it up for more of a Mexican flair...

Just sayin'.

Inject it with tequila :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Hmmmm - tequila, butter & lime injection..........Maybe rub with some coarse salt with lime zest. That's 1 bird down.

I checked out Larry's brine - I think that would be pretty good for a second bird.

I may make the 3rd bird spicy as he!l.

Now what to do with the 4th bird.........

And for Bucky's Cantina - ABTs were pretty much a given - Brethren think alike.

The chili-lime flavor combo I was going to use in the butter for the roasted sweet corn

How about you drink the Tacate, and follow it with Tequila...than no matter what you make it will taste great!!:laugh: I crack myself up!!:redface: sorry, off to the penalty box...

Oh

How about chicken fajitas? If you can find a recipe for chicken flamiado you could do that. A Tecate beer can chicken does not a Tex-Mex chicken make.

Mexican Lime chicken double the ingredients for a whole bird and marinade it in a large zip lock.
Ingredients

• ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed in a garlic crusher
  • ½ tablespoon ancho chile powder
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons corn oil
  • salt to taste
  • 1 whole chicken
Mix the lime juice, garlic, ancho chile powder, cumin, oil and salt to taste in a large, nonreactive bowl. Add the chicken pieces, making sure that all are covered with marinade.
Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for two hours. Drain chicken, discarding any remaining marinade. Grill on both sides until done or do it up beer can style.

How about a Mole rub?
2 Tbsp chipolte ground
1 Tbsp coco powder ( or more to taste )
1 Tbsp brown sugar
3/4 tbsp Mexican oregano (not Italian or Greek!)
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
salt to taste.

This is just a guide, adjust to what you like.

Pulled Chicken Taco's (Corn and Flour), with some fresh cabbage , Cheese and Pico De Gallo. Keep it simple for fun. Followed by Beer! Go Arizona!!! :twisted:

This looks great - thanks. I think that I will ditch my spicy chicken in favor of this one.

As far as fajitas - we did that for last year's Cantina game. Just trying to get some different ideas.

After 15 years of tailgate parties - it is getting harder and harder to come up with new food ideas.

That is one reason I love this site so much - so many great ideas from fellow Brethren.............

Back