A new accomplishment!!

INmitch

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
After 5 years of competing I got DAL in a catagory (and not a DQ). At Sams Southgate MI this weekend finished last in pork. I was happy with my turnin even though I didn't like the butts I had to work with. I can't blame it on the rogue judge or two either. It was consistant bad scores across the board. App 9,9,9,8,8,8 taste 7,7,7,7,7,7 tenderness 7,7,7,7,8,8.
Same rubs, sauce, injections that I've won pork with.
Any one else ever achieve this accomplishment?
And would you change anything for the next comp?

Last edited:
different butts (providers) with different additives perhaps? Something skunky on the wood this time? Also, looks like you were pretty hammered in both tenderness and taste. Not cooked long enough, or too long this time, or perhaps the meat cooled too much (which affects both taste and tenderness)?

I RGC'd and then about 6 months later was WAY WAY down the bottom 1/3rd with same recipes and injections. That was my "wheels falling off" endeavor. Something on every single one. I over-cooked the brisket, but not terribly. In cooling it firmed up a little but the taste is much better piping hot than cool. It was my best category. I got confused and pulled the pork a full 30 minutes too soon, so it sat and got stone cold; great hot, this particular recipe not-so-great cold, it was my 2nd best entry. Chicken; some of the skin was good, and on others it was rubbery beyond all belief, 3rd best category, and ribs something was skunky on 2 of the 4 racks that I used, and darned if 1 of them (the skunky meat ones) wasn't the prettiest... I sampled one of the good ribs, but not the bad ones. It went out skunky tasting with a very defined "off" taste, and our scores reflected it (I think the 6's were kind actually). So, a fraction of a point from GC, down to close to the bottom (thankfully not DAL) in a few months.

Recipe wise, look for other factors that caused the tenderness and taste scores to tank, IMHO. I'd look to those first before developing a new flavor profile.

Did you change anything for this comp or is it a tried and true method/recipe?

If it was new, I believe I would jump ship and have a different program for the next time out.

I have not had the pleasure of a DAL, but I have flirted with it on more than one occassion.

Jan............Stay with your same profile. It's worked in past. I think it was just a flyer.

Each contest different butts.........

Ron

I cant believe those scores got you DAL. Although I only compete 4-5 times a year, I wouldn't change a thing. Any given table...any given Saturday (at least that's what I try to tell myself when I get down about an entry).

Damn man, tough break.. Like other said, just keep runnin' with what has gotten you good scores in the past.

Looks like the judges were throwing out lots of 8s & 9s if that got u DAL. Or maybe it was loaded with the best cooks in the country... Lol

I saw that and thought it must have been some kind fluke or screw up. For what it's worth, I don't think you should change anything.

Don't feel bad Jan, we weren't that far ahead of you and we thought we had one of our better pork cooks. God only knows what happens in that tent.

Sam's Club last year, DAL Chicken!
30. Swamp Boys - 134.8570

I had a 4th in ribs, 8th in pork, 2nd in brisket. Just a lousy 18th in chicken would have made me GC. Instead I came in 10th overall :mmph: WTF?! Thanks for reminding me... :-D:wink::cry:

After 5 years of competing I got DAL in a catagory (and not a DQ). At Sams Southgate MI this weekend finished last in pork. I was happy with my turnin even though I didn't like the butts I had to work with. I can't blame it on the rogue judge or two either. It was consistant bad scores across the board. App 9,9,9,8,8,8 taste 7,7,7,7,7,7 tenderness 7,7,7,7,8,8.
Same rubs, sauce, injections that I've won pork with.
Any one else ever achieve this accomplishment?

I thought my pork sucked. :wacko:

12. IBQ'N - 161.7142

I did like my chicken though. :loco:

20. IBQ'N - 161.7142

I'm with JT. I'll try it at New Palestine. Judges haven't liked our pork the last two contests.
Stay with what you have been doing.

I took 2nd in pork at the Las Vegas ACM BBQ Comp - over 100 teams. Next comp I did the same exact recipe, cook time, temperature, etc. I took 27th in pork out of 30 teams!

Back