Trailer question

Candy Sue

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a utility trailer with a "push up" roof? Last couple of years, I've been toying with the idea of an open utility type trailer, where cookers can go off and on as desired. Seems like the best of all things if a light roof dropped down to the trailer base and pushed up for rain and shade during use. Never seen anything like it myself, have you?

I have seen a BBQ trailer made from a pop-up camper. It had the canvas removed from the sides, and the interior gutted. So when the roof was raised he had open air sides with a offset sitting inside.

I haven't seen these sold as a new unit though.

Take a look at the 4SmokinButts trailer. It is a utility trailer with a canvas top on a frame that raises up and down.

Vexter1 used to have a trailer that might be what you want: The metal roof folded down into sides for transport. As I recall, it was built by a guy who was local and now lives in MN. He sold it a few years ago. There's also a guy around the corner from me who has something similar, but he built it himself.

You have me thinking now about buying one of those canvas "instant shade" type things for the sides of homes and RVs and putting it on a trailer. I wonder if that would work.

dmp

thats very cool, I have been planning on doing something similar for a couple of years now. Hoping to actually have it fabbed up this spring. Does that one raise and lower or is it fixed height?

Except you don't need one. Can't wait to see yours when it is done.

Everything inside will be portable, so it pretty much is done
Just some signage will be added
Installing the generator Saturday
Look me up at Santa Anita

thats very cool, I have been planning on doing something similar for a couple of years now. Hoping to actually have it fabbed up this spring. Does that one raise and lower or is it fixed height?

I was drooling on this trailer at Indy last year and if I remember correct Dennis said that it is raised and lowered by the same system that they use for raising and lowering the engine covers on Offshore race boats. When I looked at it I see a fair amount of marine kinda idealogy .The canvas work is perfect. I have been thinking a 10 or 12 foot X 5 wide trailer is my next project and have thought thru a manual lowering and raising system and using canvas as a top and sides . If I could count on having help all the time I could do it all in aluminum and raise and lower it by hand.

Candy, I'm gonna be out all day on Saturday, but I'll try to drive by my neighbor's place and take a few pictures of his rig on Sunday or so.

dmp

Back