ALIVE!: High Sierra Survival Cook with Pron

SmokeJumper

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The Setting: Our remote High Sierra home at 7000 feet with an impending late April snowstorm that would drop 32 inches of snow and trap us in the valley for 2 days
The Goal: To eat memorable meals, drink lots of booze, and ski/snowmobile/sled in the backcountry
The Cast: Six hungry friends and closest neighbors from 1/4 mile away who would resort to "any measure" to stay alive and eat well
The Survival Strategy: Smoke one 9 lb. pork shoulder out in the storm on the big green egg

Started with a nice 9 lb. pork shoulder from the Fallettis meat market.
Rawshoulder.jpg

Backup plan if the pork ran out: Atomic sparrows and Juncos.
Sparrows.jpg

Rubbed the shoulder with my very own Hoppin' Frog rub and picked out a nice lump of hickory and apple as well as a few chunks of pecan from my wood stash. Going complex with this smoke.
Preppedbuttandwood.jpg

Moved the egg under the deck eve, loaded up the egg with Lazzari mesquite lump, set it up for indirect cook at 230, stabilized the temp, tossed in the trio of smoke woods, loaded the shoulder, and hooked up my BBQ guru DigiQ and Maverick ET-73. Cook started at 5pm.
Loadedontoegg.jpg

A foot of snow and 110mph sustained winds off the Pacific Crest were forecasted for that night so did a homebrew weather seal of the DigiQ, ET-73, and all the wiring/adapters in a gummi bear container.
Watertightguru.jpg

Shut the egg lid and didn't open it until the ET-73 screamed 190 degrees at me at 8am the next morning. Set it and forget it. Popped open the lid and tested the meat and it was perfect for pulling.
FinishedonEgg.jpg

The cooked shoulder weighed just over 5 lbs. and shredded nicely. Great crisp bark and very moist throughout.
PorkBowl.jpg

It was breakfast time but all my crew were hungover in their bunks so I took one for the team and tested the final product.
PulledPorkSammie.jpg