Grey Pork Butt's

SimplySwineSmokers

Reaction score
Finished another comp this week with mixed results, I have noticed the past few trips out when I get ready to cut my muscle and find my pulled meat that is usually a nice white color it has been gray, what can be causing this same injection I have always used. I have had several top five calls with this pork and now something is a miss. Is it low grade meat? These particular ones were bought from Resturant depo :shocked:

If I had a guess, it would be quality of the pork. I have noticed that as well in the past and have chalked it up to a bad hog.

Yes this was in Ashland, this is the third time this has happened and its costing me, all purchased at the same place. We also had two slabs taken out of the pack that were bad also, rank. Had to run to the store for back up!

Wow. After that many chances I wouldn't go back to that place! :tsk:

We were there this weekend. What is your team name? Wish I'd of known there was a brethren there. I'd of stopped by and said hello

We were cooking under Benchwarmers, had a 7 place in chicken which was a good move for us, ribs were under cooked, and well the pork, is the discussion. What about y'all sometimes were under simply swine. Two teams together.

Is it low grade meat? These particular ones were bought from Resturant depo :shocked:

Commodity pork at RD is the same stuff that everyone else sells. I have gotten good calls using RD product. The only thing is...they get cases in and break those cases open for individual sale. Those items in the case are weighed and priced, but the label is NOT dated. Since you can't see the case that has the pack date, you have no way of knowing how old it is.

It's Restaurant Depot Roulette. :becky:

RD figures their turn over will keep product moving fast enough that it won't go bad, and if it does RD will give them a credit for it. That's all fine and good, but it doesn't help you when you are at a contest in the middle of nowhere with a bad product.

For that reason, if I have to buy at RD, I try to buy cases and not the smaller packs. If you don't need a case, consider freezing. Shorter time from the pack date is better, and I wouldn't use anything that will be over 21 days on the contest date.

I just realized I read over the fact you got the meat from RD. I've gotten a good bit of meat there and had a few pieces that were bad too.

Best advice for avoiding that is to prep meat at home so you know if it's rank before you get to the contest.

We cook under Meatcraft BBQ. We were right in the middle of everything with the small white trailer and the old pathfinder.

I quit using Smithfield butts for the same reason. Problem solved. No more grey meat. I think it has to do with what they are "enhancing" the meat with. Note: these were not their "prime" butts. They don't sell those in our state.

Commodity pork at RD is the same stuff that everyone else sells. I have gotten good calls using RD product. The only thing is...they get cases in and break those cases open for individual sale. Those items in the case are weighed and priced, but the label is NOT dated. Since you can't see the case that has the pack date, you have no way of knowing how old it is.

It's Restaurant Depot Roulette. :becky:

RD figures their turn over will keep product moving fast enough that it won't go bad, and if it does RD will give them a credit for it. That's all fine and good, but it doesn't help you when you are at a contest in the middle of nowhere with a bad product.

For that reason, if I have to buy at RD, I try to buy cases and not the smaller packs. If you don't need a case, consider freezing. Shorter time from the pack date is better, and I wouldn't use anything that will be over 21 days on the contest date.

They actually do put a date on them, but you need to know what to look for.

There is a three digit number on the label, and that is the pack date based on the # day it is in the year. For example, if it says 127 then it is 127 days into the year which would be May 7th. That pork's pack date would have been May 7th. I didn't know this for the longest time, but Jason (I am pretty sure that was who said it), with Tenacious Q explained this in a thread a year or so ago, and it really helped with picking butts.

Now, I do not get my butts from RD anymore because the selection was sub-par the last few times we went. We've switched and received a 2nd and 1st place call with our new supplier :).

There is a three digit number on the label, and that is the pack date based on the # day it is in the year. For example, if it says 127 then it is 127 days into the year which would be May 7th. That pork's pack date would have been May 7th. I didn't know this for the longest time, but Jason (I am pretty sure that was who said it), with Tenacious Q explained this in a thread a year or so ago, and it really helped with picking butts.

Now, I do not get my butts from RD anymore because the selection was sub-par the last few times we went. We've switched and received a 2nd and 1st place call with our new supplier :).

Very informative. I'm considering switching from RD for all my meats. Who have you switched to?

Yeah I had grey butts from RD this weekend on my practice cook. Would like to know about a better source (reasonably near Baltimore if possible.)

I used RD ribs and butts for one contest. Ribs turned out ok but weren't the best. The bark on the butts were strange (IMO) and the meat wasn't as juicy and flavorful as my other source. Needless to say I got poor scores and promptly switched back to kroger for ashland.

The kroger ribs/butts worked out better for me. (6th in pork, 8th in ribs)

Well I want to thank you all very much for the responces, like they say garbage in garbage out, I knew there was a problem, I also knew I could do better. Thanks for helping me figure it out, now to find a good supplier. Hey Right on Q I'm sure we will be cooking again together some where, I'll look you up.

Doing Hernando in June and not competing again until the fall. Looking at Corinth or Jonesboro (hasn't been announced yet)

Look forward to seeing you out there

Hmmm! another thought, I'm still green havent been cooking comp but 3 yrs, by holding or steaming I take it you mean wrapping for to long? Thanks for your products by the way we use them.

I always figured it was coded in there, but I have asked multiple people at RD about it, and they always tell me it's not dated. Thanks for the input, will keep an eye out next time. RD is not our "go to" supplier, but if we are traveling to a remote location and don't know the area, it's sometimes our best bet.

Back