Has Anyone Used The Morton's Recipe For Pepperoni Snack Sticks?

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
This recipe is on their website and in the Home Curing Guide. I have some home ground chuck I plan on using (thinking it's around 80/20) and I'll jack up the pepper for sure.... but I plan on a test sample and adjust seasonings from there. I'll smoke tomorrow.

Pepperoni

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef
1-1/2 level teaspoons Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (plain)
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, slightly crushed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon anise seed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

(I'm going to add some paprika and maybe some crushed Thai chili peppers)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

Combine all ingredients, mixing until thoroughly blended. Divide mixture in half. Shape each half into slender roll about 1-1/2 inch in diameter. Wrap in plastic or foil. Refrigerate overnight. Unwrap rolls and place on broiler pan.

Bake at 325°F until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of a roll reads 160°F, 50 to 60 minutes. Store wrapped in refrigerator. Use within 3 to 5 days or freeze for later use.

Never tried it but I think i'd leave out the liquid smoke and do them on the smoker instead of the oven

Never tried it but I think i'd leave out the liquid smoke and do them on the smoker instead of the oven

Oh yeah... definitely on the smoker. Most likely in the Little Chief for 2 hours or so, then finish off on a hotter cooker (unless I can pull off that 165° internal).

Back