Trailer scissor jack question

bwsy2k

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am looking to put some scissor jacks on my enclosed bbq trailer and wanted to see if anyone could recommend a brand? Been looking at Amazon and eBay but it's hard to tell what's good or bad. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Brad

pretty basic stuff, Ive never seen a scissor jack that made me say "now thats a dang nice jack". your just using it to stabilize the trailer. Id buy whatever I felt was the right size and cheapest

I think we got the 2 pack from Camping world, something like $60 for the pack. Work great so far.

I cant recomend a brand but after replacing them on several different RV's I highly recomend going to a RV shop or store and either getting them there or find what your happy with and shop the old interweb, I have bought them from Amazon and had two of them fold like cheap lawn chairs on me while setting up my camper, so being able to put hands on and physically see them would be the rout I would go. A mid level set will run you 50 to 75 bucks a pair, and they go up to a couple of hundred dollars if you want electric ones and such.

I cant recomend a brand but after replacing them on several different RV's I highly recomend going to a RV shop or store and either getting them there or find what your happy with and shop the old interweb, I have bought them from Amazon and had two of them fold like cheap lawn chairs on me while setting up my camper, so being able to put hands on and physically see them would be the rout I would go. A mid level set will run you 50 to 75 bucks a pair, and they go up to a couple of hundred dollars if you want electric ones and such.

I stand corrected

get the ones you can buy the drill extension, I had ones on a Jayco that you could only use the hand crank, my work n play has the jacks you can buy a socket for a drill, and what a difference on setup and tear down now is.

get the ones you can buy the drill extension, I had ones on a Jayco that you could only use the hand crank, my work n play has the jacks you can buy a socket for a drill, and what a difference on setup and tear down now is.

Yes I forgot to mention that, most of them sold by RV shops will come with a hex head and a "special Socket" to rise them, but a good 1/2" cordless drill with a socket adapter and a 19MM will make your life a lot better.

• Thanks
Reactions: SOB
What every brand include the ones on eBay, go with the 7,500 pound versions. They are much more beefier than the 2,500 or 5,000.

Got mine on ebay. 7,500 pound 24" extension. Work just fine as replacements for the ones on the Work and Play.

• Thanks
Reactions: SOB
pretty basic stuff, Ive never seen a scissor jack that made me say "now thats a dang nice jack". your just using it to stabilize the trailer. Id buy whatever I felt was the right size and cheapest

Buy the best and you'll only cry once! :wink:

Thanks guys I appreciate the input. I figured there probably wasnt much to it, but figured it never hurts to ask. Sometime stuff you see online can look one way and be another when ya get it.

I'd go to my local Harbor Freight/Northern Tool/Tractor Supply/RV supply and look at their offerings to get an idea. Then Shop the brand or similar on Ebay/Craigs List and compare prices. Also a cordless impact wrench does wonders for you setup/teardown and the Chicago Electric is available at the three stores mentioned above and watch Sunday's flyers for their ads or get on their mailing list.

The higher the capacity, the larger the foot print for mounting and placement and may require having plates welded on the bottom in the area of mounting. Some of the added cost.

Don't forget the manual hand crank for those times that you forgot to charge the drill motor. I carry two batteries for mind for that reason.

Ditto on Harbor Freight. Google Harbor Freight coupon and get 20% off.

This is what I'd use: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/BAL-23216-Lock-Arm-Stabilizing-Bar/dp/B001UGNJ60/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1416430252&sr=8-4&keywords=bal+stabilizing+jacks"]Amazon.com: BAL 23216 Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WcAILoBlL.@@AMEPARAM@@41WcAILoBlL[/ame]

I have the same thing on my camper minus the stabilizing rod, which I wish I had.

mines an 8.5x16 tandem axle with 3.5 foot v nose.

never have a problem with stability even with a load of us fat guys in it. Why do u think they are needed?

ditto on bringing an electric impact to raise/lower them. Ours are easy to use but even easier and faster with a 3/4in socket and elect impact.

Back