Wood?!?

P

pokechop

Can anyone here identify this wood by looking at it?? Hint: This wood was photographed in Central Mexico.

Attachments

• _MG_5422re.jpg
    _MG_5422re.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 182
  • _MG_5441re.jpg
    _MG_5441re.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 180
For positive ID you will need to show the leaves too. If it's an oak a photo of the acorns will be needed as well to determine what kind of oak it is.

Unfortunately, these are the only photos I have. Do you think it's an oak??

Hard to say without seeing the grain or bark up close. From the photo the splits appear too dark in color to be oak, but weathering conditions can affect that. Oaks can grow in that region. That piece in the front in the second picture (upside down Y) looks lighter in color that the splits. The bark on that piece looks like Hickory, but I wouldn't put any money on it if this was all I had to go by.

Could it be nacho wood?

..Sorry...you serve up a grapefruit, and someone has to hit it...

Mesquite bark has very thick heavy scale. That bark looks quite smooth in comparison. If it were cut from the top branches or boughs the bark might be smoother. Also the color of the whole split is wrong for Mesquite. Very heavy grey bark, then a fairly thick ring of yellow sap wood then the deep red heart wood. I would guess some other wood.

Impossible to identify without a grain shot, but, the color looks wrong for oak, at least the splits.

Back