Uds turkey, 3 hours? how?

Theboz1419

is one Smokin' Farker
I was doing a turkey in the UDS and I have had the temp at 240 before putting the turkey on the grill and it then went down to 180 when I put the turkey onto the grill with a tin foil container with a little bit water and and to catch the drippings.

3 hours later my Uds temp just below the turkey is setting at 247 and I went to check the temp of the bird for the first time and I am sitting at 176 in the breast.

Why so fast with a temp below 300?

I checked the temp probes last weekend and they were only a few degrees off in boiling water.

Or is is just right for a 14 pound turkey, not stuffed except for a onion and apple

Check the joint between the leg and the thigh. If your 165ish, your done.

3 hrs doesn't surprise me on a drum. :biggrin:

Seems a little fast, but not unbelievable. at 250 I would say 20 - 25 per pound unstuffed, so that would be around 4 hours. Did you brine it? Brines meats tend to cook faster.

Also, check it in a few spots just in case.

Seems a little fast, but not unbelievable. at 250 I would say 20 - 25 per pound unstuffed, so that would be around 4 hours. Did you brine it? Brines meats tend to cook faster.

Also, check it in a few spots just in case.

I did not brine it but i did inject it with a chicken broth, butter, lemon marinade for about 8 hours before smoking it. It was definately done, and fairly good, not to juicy though.

Wow you got me curious. I did my first Turkey in the Drum today as well. I have it sitting in a cooler, wrapped right now. I did Brine for the first time as well. And I might have let it cook too long because the temps were also showing that mine was done in about 3 hours. Will keep you posted!

No pics yet, will post later...ooohhhh, I have a Craisen & Mozzarella Cheese Stuffed and Pecan Rubbed Fattie still in the smoker!

I almost forgot about that!

I've got my bird on the drum right now. Trying the MadMax approach. Been having major temp issues all day. Both valves open (my third is broken and wont open) but for the first hour couldn't get it higher then 250. Normally I'd be well over 300 with both open. Tried Stubbs charcoal today, and wondering if that has anything to do with it. Fired up some Kingsford in the chimney, added that, and now we're getting closer to 300 which is what I wanted.

Been on for 1.5 hours, and breast is at 110.

I've got my bird on the drum right now. Trying the MadMax approach. Been having major temp issues all day. Both valves open (my third is broken and wont open) but for the first hour couldn't get it higher then 250. Normally I'd be well over 300 with both open. Tried Stubbs charcoal today, and wondering if that has anything to do with it. Fired up some Kingsford in the chimney, added that, and now we're getting closer to 300 which is what I wanted.

Been on for 1.5 hours, and breast is at 110.

Unscrew the ball type valve and use a plastic, flat type magnate to cover the intake to what ever degree you want as to adjust oxy intake.

Back